FTA (Free To Air) satellite reception

Ron Burgundy

can i attach a free view box to my existing sky dish or do i have to put in a seperate dish.

i have one spare on my quad ( sky and sky+ ) and was thinking of puttting in one extra free view for another room.

Re: free view box

No it won't ... you need a FTA (free to air) Sataillte box... not a freeview box , they plug into normal aerials and only work in the uk....

ooopps that what i presumed he was talking about.

the free to air sat box was what i meant, sorry. so can i hook that up to my sky dish ????

Yes - but what satellite is your Sky dish pointing at - Astra1 at 19.2E or Astra2/Eurobird1 at 28.2/28.5E? The latter has the widest range of FTA channels. And do you want to use your Sky box at the same time? The Sky box can act as a FTA receiver if you have a but I'm not sure if you can use this at the same time as regular Sky subscription services? But perhaps you don't actually need a second FTA receiver box?

won't use ywllow house and i haven't a clue what sat my dish is pointing at.........one that gives me channels

won't use ywllow house and i haven't a clue what sat my dish is pointing at.........one that gives me channels

If you get SKY on the dish then its 28.8... so just connect a FTA box...

best job is to pickup a second hand sky box on ebay...that way you get the EPG (progam listings) and can put in your sky card from your other box (you'll get everything you pay for except sports/moives)....

As above it's presumably Astra 2/28.2E (which means that it should probably also be able to "see" Eurobird 1/28.5E unless this needs an 80cm+ dish rather than the Sky mini dish?) - I just wasn't sure if some Sky dishes were still on Astra 1/19.2E - but I would have thought that the receiver would tell you what satellite things were coming from? Anyway, also as mentioned above the addition of a FTA receiver should let you see the FTA channels on these satellites. Remember the limitations of tuning multiple differenty TVs (or recorders) to different channles at the same time though (e.g. multiple or dual/quad/octo LNBs, separate cable feed for each, separate receiver for each etc.).

I have one fta sky dish and two seperate boxes. one is the normal sky box and the other is just a digital receiver. the sky box supplies all the rooms in the house except one and this is where the other box is located. that way the cu offspring can watch those 'music ' channels in peace. peace for the rest of us that is . the tv receivers can also receive terrestrial tv and one can receive digital from the 4 irish stations via the normal rooftop aerial.

the sky box supplies all the rooms in the house except one and this is where the other box is located. that way the cu offspring can watch those 'music ' channels in peace.
Presumably only the one channel can be viewed in all locations served by this box at any one time? And presumably you have a two or dual LNB setup on the dish so that two separate channels (one via Sky box and one via FTA box) can be viewed at the same time?

yes on both counts. If someone in say a bedroom wants to watch one of the fta channels then everyone else has to watch that channel too ( except for the seperate room ) but of course you can just watch terrestrial tv anywhere in the house which is ok around here except for bbc2 which has almost disappeared. Ch 4 is only on terrestrial tv.

yes on both counts. If someone in say a bedroom wants to watch one of the fta channels then everyone else has to watch that channel too ( except for the seperate room )
I thought that the Sky box was serving all of the house and the FTA box was serving just one room?
I have one fta sky dish and two seperate boxes. one is the normal sky box and the other is just a digital receiver. the sky box supplies all the rooms in the house except one and this is where the other box is located.
but of course you can just watch terrestrial tv anywhere in the house which is ok around here except for bbc2 which has almost disappeared. Ch 4 is only on terrestrial tv.
You must be pointing at a UK/NI transmitter or a deflector so because most people in Ireland will not be able to get anything other than RTE1/2, TV3 and TG4 via an analog terrestrial antenna pointed at their local transmitter.

Sky box feeds a splitter box in the attic so effectively its feeding all of the house except one room. Digital box in sitting room stands alone with a direct line from the dish. Dundalk - so no problem receiving uk channels, except bbc 2 which must have reduced its transmitting power as you can no longer watch it using the rooftop aerial. No text available on the 4 Irish channels when you switch over to the digital signal from Clermon Carn but the picture is crystal clear. (Text is available on the 4 channels using normal analog reception)

Last edited by a moderator: