Frozen fruit

eeks2006

I have found over the last while that fresh strawberries and rasberries and other dark fruits, due to being out of season, are getting seriously pricey in my local supermarket, €4.99 per punnet, and they really are not that big either and dont stay fresh for very long, i have tried shopping around but they are pretty much the same price everywhere.
I use them for natural fruit juice in the mornings and was considering about using the frozen ones instead to save a few quid.
The frozen ones are more reasonably priced, but with the saying, you get what you pay for, ringing in the back of my head i just want to see if people know if they are any good, meaning are the natural vitamins, nutrition still in them or are they lost through freezing them and should i just bite the bullet and dig deep till summer arrives when you can get dark fruits at a more reasonable price.

Thanks, Conor.

I'm sure that a quick will tell you what effect freezing has on nutrients in fruit?

Would you not just buy good quality fruit juice like Tropicana during the winter months?

Supermarket fruit and veg prices seem to have risen dramatically lately. I didn't notice the same sort of price inflation on the stalls in Dublin.

I just prefer natural fruit in the morning,I would eat a good bit of fruit up untill lunchtime, or maybe an hour before, with alot of water drank too, its the easiest thing for your body to break down in the morning,gives you more energy and doesnt knacker you out trying to digest those lovely big jumbo breakfast rolls, lets face it its better in the long run for you isnt it.

Sorry took the tropicana line out, thats all id need, getting sued by Tropicana when all i want to know is if frozen fruit is as good as fresh fruit.

Last edited:
Tropicana is nice, but there is a fair bit of sugar in it and preservatives too so it will keep
Are you sure about that? I thought that their OJ at least was made from concentrate with no additives or was pure/freshly squeezed?

Are you sure about that? I thought that their OJ at least was made from concentrate with no additives or was pure/freshly squeezed?

Tropicana is made from the pure stuff - not from concentrate. Nicest drink you could drink!

I've often bought Irish frozen fruit in Super Valu and I think possibly Dunnes. As far as I can remember it's from a fruit farm in Kildare. You can get packs mixed berries, blackcurrants and raspberries. I put it in the microwave for a few seconds to defrost it.

I would imagine this is far more nutritious than "fresh" fruit that's currently available - which is more than likely flown in from the southern hemispere at this time of the year and would begin to lose its nutrients from the moment it's picked.

I presume the frozen fruit is flash frozen as soon as possible after picking and therefore retains more nutrients (similar to frozen peas)

A lot of assumptions above - but presonally I'd choose frozen local fruit.

"......but presonally I'd choose frozen local fruit"

A lot of frozen fruit, though supplied by Irish suppliers, often in nice 'farm fresh' packaging, would be imported. It would have been imported in frozen form, so you would still have the benefit of retaining the nutrients. but I don't think you can assume it is local fruit.

The nutritional value of frozen fruit and veg tends to be higher than fresh produce sold in the Supermarkets as they are frozen quickly after they are picked when fully ripe, whereas fresh produce is harvested sometimes prior to being fully ripe to factor in optimum 'freshness' by the time it reaches the shelf, and the storage and time factor can lead to loss of vits and minerals.

I think though it would be best for making smoothies rather than juicing, as freezing changes the fruits structure due to its high water content.

Hi, Yes I too Have noticed a huge increase in the price of fresh berries in the supermarket,cashing in on the whole health craze propabably.But 5 to 6 euro for a small punet of berries would send you straight back over to the crips and chocolete isle.I have a small holiday home in wexford so I think this year i'll be doing a lot more stopping at the side of the road for strawberries and freezeing them myself.

Wasn't Tropicana the juice that when over drank a young fella turned orange. He looked like a Marshan from space. That's a few years ago but it was still called Tropicana ???

Wasn't Tropicana the juice that when over drank a young fella turned orange. He looked like a Marshan from space. That's a few years ago but it was still called Tropicana ???

That was Sunny D! Fanta had a higher juice content

Tropicana is lightly pasteurised, so loses a lot of its fresh fruit taste.