Frontier Markets

ringledman

Frontier Markets:

Where offers good value readers? Anyone investing.

Personally I like Vietnam and Zimbabwe.

Vietnam seems a very young market. I was over there a couple od years ago and asking people on the ground about this very thing.
The consensus seemed to be that there simply were not enough stocks, and enough different types of stocks, available on their exchange thus was was very limited and narrow.

There's this fund with market cap of $500mio+ = Bloomberg code VOF:LN. I would tend to agree that the country has probably got good potential but that the market is small and may be subject to wild swings in distressed markets.

There are other funds out there that could give you South East Asia exposure, or Africa - Rabodirect have a number of these funds where you can buy into them with as little as €100 for a cost of €0.50.

e.g.Fidelity Emerging Europe, Mid East Africa where you will not be stung if one market nose-dives - [broken link removed]

I like Indonesia but cannot find an ETF for it in Europe, anyone can help?

I understand there is only one Indonesian ETF out there and its US based.

It went up 100% or so in the last year. Better o buy on the dips I think.

A great blogger about Vietnam and Indonesia can be found on -

www.madhedgefundtrader.com

Regards.

Indonesia -

[broken link removed]
3) If you are looking for another emerging market to add to your list of things to buy on dips, then take a look at Indonesia. The world’s largest Muslim country offers a combination that I love, a population with great demographics that is also a major energy and commodities exporter. The archipelago is the biggest country in Southeast Asia and a huge exporter of oil and LPG to Japan on long term contracts (An old friend of mine torched their Borneo fields at the beginning of WWII, and spent four years in a Japanese prison camp for his troubles). Other big exports include marvelous textiles, rubber, and increasingly rare tropical hardwoods. The global financial crisis only knocked their growth rate from 6.1% to 4.5%, and now it is back above 6%. No doubt, $63 billion of direct foreign investment into the country helped. A series of tax reforms promise to keep the train moving, cutting the top corporate rate from 30% in 2008 to 28% this year, and 25% next year. Wisdom Tree had the “wisdom” to launch the country’s first ETF (IDX) in January (what timing!), which became one of the best performers this year, rocketing over 310% from the lows to $62.50. Islamic inspired terrorism is still a lingering concern. I keep Indonesia in the category of highly volatile, high risk, high return frontier markets that you only want to buy on a big dip. Keep it on your radar.

Vietnam-

[broken link removed]
...To see what I am talking about, look at the population pyramid for Vietnam. This shows a high birth rate producing ever rising numbers of consumers to buy more products, generating a rising tide of corporate earnings, leading to outsized economic growth without the social service burden of an aged population. And what happened 40 years ago? The Vietnam War, where two million young people were killed who otherwise would have been enjoying their gold years now. This is where you want to own the stocks and currencies.

Vietnam is developing at an amazing rate at the moment; there is a lot of new business going on there, fast growth & foreign investment.

Back