Front gates

kiwifruit

Does anyone know approximately what it would cost to get cast iron gates for the front garden? We live in an averaged sized semi detached house with a normal sized driveway, the wall and pillars are already there so i'm guessing that the space between would be approximately 2 metres (I havent measured it).

Thanks.

It is normally 3 meters between the pillars.
Great variation in prices, but you should get one fitted for about €450.

It is normally 3 meters between the pillars.
Great variation in prices, but you should get one fitted for about €450.

Thats sound cheap for front gates. Where did you get that price from? I got quotes last year for two gates for a approx.4m opening and they ranged from €850 to €1200 for standard gates nothing fancy. I didn't buy and am still on the look our for gates.

I used Phoenix Wrought Iron for our front gates 5 years ago. Paid €350/€400 i think at the time, hence my guestimate of €450.

... cast iron gates for the front garden? ...

I used Phoenix Wrought Iron for our front gates 5 years ago. Paid €350/€400 i think at the time, hence my guestimate of €450.
If OP really means cast rather than wrought iron, there is likely to be a huge difference in the price of the gates themselves.

Installing cast iron gates (successfully) is a much more difficult job than installing wrought iron due to weight differences.

Maybe OP could clarify?

@ these prices, presumably the gates are neither galvanized or painted? I recently priced two small firms for a very humble wrought iron balcony. Both were €900 for the balcony (galvanised, painted black & fitted). For a set of gates @ €450, I'd like to know more!!

His prices have gone up since then. For a 10 ft space you're looking at between 800 - 1200 alright. He dropped around to the house a few months ago with his book of designs.

He has a stall in the Long Mile Market on Sunday. The gates looks quite good. Worth a visit.

IMO, a powder dip coating finish would be a superior finish than painting on galvanised metalwork. It is difficult/not recommnded to paint freshly galvanised metal work and also a Paint finish has to be re-visited.