Front Door Lock

Right, I'll do my best legend99 .... y'know the way these locks consist of a "barrel" which runs from the outside of the door to the inside (and the key goes in either end) — you can buy replacements for these where there is a knob on one end of the barrel (for inside the door) instead of a keyhole, which you twist to lock the door from the inside. Make any sense!?!?

Problem with these are you can open them from the outside with a piece of bent piano wire.Honest.

That's the thumbturn lock that they're talking about. The bottom one is the inside lock. You don't need a key to lock from the inside, you only need to turn the little latch. Very common in North America.

Alias,

Thanks for the link to the Canadian Tire website. For any other fellow Canadians perhaps it brings back memories of the Christmas ads for the store: Spend like Santa, save like Scrooge!
Sorry..... way off topic! But brough a smile to my face!

Would these thumbturn locks be a good idea for glazed patio doors? Or would they be a security risk?

Marion

we have these turnnob locks on our front and side doors (not very happy with this one, due to location of door) , very handy but you would need to have an alarm system if you have these for piece of mind at night, if some one broke/cut the glass, they can gain access to ur house in seconds..its worth thinking about

Would certainly make escape easier in the case of a fire, but you might want to check what your insurance company thinks of them.
Leo

Thanks for the reply. I wanted these, but the sales manager told me about the security risk. The doors will be alarmed. I must make the decision by tomorrow.

Marion

I will check with the insurance company. I hadn't spotted your post leo before I replied.

Marion

can u let us know what insurance company thinks...you also have to use the alarm though...also if you can get a alarm panel on back/side door...very handy

Hi johnnyg

There isn't an insurance issue. Forcible entry would have to take place as per normal. Thanks for the advice. Now, all I need to do is decide whether I will put this turn lock on the inside of the door or not! Considering that I always used to leave the key in the sliding patio (now being replaced) I don't know why I am now suddenly concerned about security. Maybe it's because the obvious was pointed out to me!

Marion

That's really worrying Pteam, do you know if it's for real?

(in case anyone can't view the clip above, it shows someone using a simple tool to open one of these locks from the keyhole side without any force or particular skill.)

Found the video on a locksmiths website.Tool costs 44.99 sterling and anyone can buy it online.

Equally worrying is the remainder of the range of tools they offer which will easily open just about any lock type in seconds. All with video demonstrations of how to use them...
Leo

My are in place and I am really pleased with them. I decided to get the same key for outside for all the doors. I'm not so good at remembering where I left my keys!

Thanks to all for advice - especially Leo.

Marion