Front Door Lock

avantarklu

New house, front door has a "5 point" locking system, the type you find on uPVC doors. Unless the door is locked using the key, the door can be opened from the outside. Means I have to lock \ unlock the door everytime I use it. Is there some adjustment I can make to prevent the (unlocked) door being opened from the outside.

Thanks in advance

This was the case in all house I lived in, on two occasions I installed a Union lock which you can get in any hardware shop, it involves drilling a hole on the door and also a recess in the door frame, but once its in, you can close the door and the top lock will prevent casual access from outside.

Takes getting used to using 2keysto gain access after a night out!

Similar story - but as mine was a 2nd hand residence I also changed the original 5-point lock too. I bought a multi-lock, matched the two locks so I only have the 1 key!

Your average Yale type lock is not as secure as the 5 point lock AFAIK

My easiest solution was buy a new barrel for the lock (had the same problem as yourself), which has a non-removable barrel for the inside of the door which just has to be turned to lock the door. Cost 30 euro in a locksmiths and took about 30 seconds to fit.

It also prevents the problem of someone leaving the key in the lock inside the house, which then keeps the other resident locked out (I'll never forget that freezing cold Saturday night!!!)

EC1,
Can you expand on what you mean....I am a little lost...and have also spent a number of cold hours locked outside with the mrs in a vodka coma inside with her key in the lock....

If you fit a yale type lock on the door be careful that the reciever part of it will go onto the door frame. I have a similar type pvc door and a mobile locksmith called around the estate one evening and fitted a yale lock for €60. The locksmith gave a spiel about him modifying the reciever. We tend to just use this lock now and don't bother locking the handle lock unless we are going away on hols etc.

as I said, Yale locks are pickable in a matter of seconds, I have seen it done. 5 point locks are far far harder to get through.

Right, I'll do my best legend99 .... y'know the way these locks consist of a "barrel" which runs from the outside of the door to the inside (and the key goes in either end) — you can buy replacements for these where there is a knob on one end of the barrel (for inside the door) instead of a keyhole, which you twist to lock the door from the inside. Make any sense!?!?

Ahhhh yes. didn't know that. Have replaced one of those locks before but only did it with the key at each end one!
Cheers!!!

No probs, not many people seem to know about them ... as I said, 30 euro (you should measure the original barrel first to make sure you don't have a gaudy thing stickin out the front). It won't take any more than a minute to put in — remove the single screw from the side of the lock. Don't forget plenty of WD40 all around before you put in the new one!

I read this Post in relation to front door locks.I want to close door and ensure it can't be entered into from the outside without having to lock it.The problem is my front door overlaps on the insde by about 1 inch.In my other house the door fitted flush and I just drilled out hole and recess and fitted lock -very straight forward.I have checked the DIY stores and I can't seem to find a lock that allows for a door type like this.I don't want to go to a locksmith because it's not that critical but I would like to have it if I can do myself

Have you a "Munster Joinery" door?, this is what we have and got the modified Rxer.
The guy John Keohyne in Galway, mobile locksmith has modified recievers, he will prob supply you same.
I posted his number here before, I will post it again when I find it, if you want.!

The "technical" name for this is a:" keyed cylinder with thumbturn"

I have one of these locks on my front door and its broken - lock has become crooked. Are they easy enough to replace? Where can a new one be purchased? Cheers!

as I said, Yale locks are pickable in a matter of seconds, I have seen it done. 5 point locks are far far harder to get through.

Excuse my ignorance but can someone confirm what Yale and 5 point locks are so I can fugure out what we have. We have patio doors which have handles you have to pull up to lock and three bolts shoot out to lock it and the front door has a knob you turn and 3 or 4 bolts come out. Please identify! Thanks.

A yale lock would be similar to a basta lock that you have on your bedroom door

Sorry Gordon, but I think you're incorrect. The "Basta" type lock found on your bedroom door is (usually in domestic build anyway) a 2 lever mortise lock, which means it is recessed (mortised) into the door stile. A "Yale" lock, as most people understand it is what's known as a "rim lock" or "night latch", surface mounted onto the door face and operated by means of a cylinder lock which is fitted in the face of the door frame. The lock or latch engages with the receiver which is partially let into the corresponding door frame.