Front door catching on something but what?

Red

Hi all,

Our teak front door is giving us trouble when you try to open.
It's like it is catching on something but I can't figure out what.
It's not rubbing against the brass insert on floor.

You really have to give it a good push to open.

Would warping that caused this ? House is less than 3 years old. I would have expected more from a hard wood door.

Any advise??

Re: Front door catching on something but what ??

Is the door the problem or is it the floor?

Are the door hinges tight?

Is the bottom of the door binding or is it the edge of the door?

Can you get down on your knees and watch the door being closed to check the clearance underneath?

doesn't seem to be catching at the bottom, more like the edge of the door.
swings freely from hinges after you get momentum going

Ours catches mainly near the lock when the wood expands usually with change in the weather heatwise especially when we put central heating on. JR has had to shave a small amount off but this has to be done carefully and can be a pain if the door has been stained or varnished.

We had a similar problem with our back door. Check out how the door is hung. If there is a large reveal and the door opens back onto it, then maybe the wood at the side of the hinges has split and it is causing the door to be mis-hung. We solved the problem by replacing the hinges with stronger ones, and putting a soft closer on the top of the door.

Our wooden door gets warped every winter and it becomes difficult to lock the mortice lock. The lock gets moved slightly off centre and the door has to be cajoled into position before locking. This usually means holding on to decorative door knob and "lifting" the door before turning key.

It reverts to normality though when the weather improves. I guess the door was originally fitted during warm weather... I wouldn't have thought that such a marked expansion/contraction was possible but it is!

If its catching at the edge , try the old chippies trick , get a bit of chalk and chalk the entire edge of the door , close the door and open it again, where the chalk mark has been rubbed away , thats your problem area.Get the plane at it then and it should be sorted.

sounds good
will give a try tonight