Front door and wooden floors

collieb

Hi,

I am tackling a solid wooden floor in my house this weekend. Its an 18mm solid oak floor with a 3mm 'Elastilon' underlay. The 18mm wood justs about fits under front door, but with the 3mm elastilon i think I will need to shave a couple of millimetres off. The front door is a standard wooden door with 3 point locking system (and so has the metal strip running down it) with a seal at the bottom. Not having taken it off the hinges yet, does anyone have experience of planing a small amount off these doors - are there metal bits and pieces in the way, and will it dramatically affect the seal? Anything else I should be aware of?

Also, I am thinking of including a mat well to ensure i will have clearance for the mat, but should I run the mat right up to the front door seal or should I have it as a self contained rectangle that is placed slightly in from the door, with say a foot of wood between it and the door??

Any advice/sugegstions welcome..

i assume you have a munster joinery door which has a rubber seal all round. you might get away with planing it a bit. i had to cut an inch off one a few years back as i laid a solid floor on battens. the hall was freezing until we eventually got a porch fitted.i fitted a mat well but afterwards thought it was a waste of time. a good bristly mat outside would be better in my opinion.

xt40,

Thanks for that, Not sure if its a Munster Joinery door, but definitely of the same ilk. The rubber seal is on the door frame but it does have the normal rubber seal at the bottom. I take your point about the freezing hallway - I would be a little worried that I will lessen the effectiveness of the seal and let wind, and more worryingly, water, into the hall.

You could be right about the external mat too.