From Venice to Sicily

annfield

Hi all

We've decided last minute to go to Italy in September for two weeks. The only available flights direct from Dublin were to fly into Venice and out of Trapani, Sicily. This suits us as they are two places we look forward to visiting. We have three days in venice to kick off so I am wondering what is the best way to make our way down the country to Sicily , I know the train network is very good. Is florence and bologna worthwhile stops for a few days? I checked air italia and there didnt seem to be much in the way of options. Any ideas?? Where the best location to access Sicily from the mainland?

Regards

Trains are good, but it's a long way, I'm guessing you're planning to have several stopping points along the way?
Looking on amadeus.net, it's a min of 2 stops by flying (e.g. Rome & Palermo)

You could make stops in Bologna, Florence and Rome for a night each, then take an overnight ferry from Naples to Sicily. This would make the travel time a lot more pleasant.

Depends how many stops you'd be happy with. Five centres in 2 weeks would be a lot in IMHO but it depends on your own energy levels. If you're sticking with cities, then Bologna, Florence and Rome would be good stops.

Another option would be to get the train to either Siena (and spend a few days touring Tuscany by car before getting back on the train in siena and continuing south) or Naples (and spend some time around the stunning Amalfi Coast, also taking in Pompeii, before getting the train or ferry to Sicily).

Back