Fritzbox Router for ffth

Radioman

I want to remove my Eir Router and install a Fritzbox Router which has facilities for my Smart Home equipment such as zoning per radiator my central heating Solar Generator Monitoring and much more

I simply need to know how to configure it first of all so it will connect to the Eir Modem which currently is connected by cable to the WAN port in the Eir Router

Can someone give me the necessary data please

maybe i am missing something but what about the fritzbox is special, is it not a home assisstant instance you want running on a raspberry pi or nuc?

I'm also confused. The Fritz box device that you mentioned above seems to be a DSL rather than a fibre modem/router such as this one:
so I presume that you're not looking to completely replace the Eir box with your own?

If it's a case of you wanting to replace the Eir box's WiFi/LAN routing capabilities with your own WiFi router then service provider boxes sometimes have an option to switch them into "modem only" mode so that WiFi/routing is done externally. Sometimes this option isn't automatically available (e.g. with Virgin Media the customer may have to call them to get them to disable DS-Lite and enable IPv4 and then reboot for the option to appear in the VM Hub web based administrative interface). Is there anything like "modem only" or "no WiFi" option in the Eir box's administrative interface?

Edit: sorry, just noticed now that you seem to have two Eir boxes - one is presumably the fibre modem and the other is the WiFi router? Have you tried simply replacing the latter with the Fritz box?

Last edited:
maybe i am missing something but what about the fritzbox is special, is it not a home assisstant instance you want running on a raspberry pi or nuc?
Take a look at AVM and their range of equipment the Fritzbox system makes the whole area of multi add on routers to cover a wide area with WiFi Ethernet Repeaters Radiatior , lighting, internal telephone answering machine VPN and more in single MESH system very easy to use and manage. I have found nothing better.
That said all I want is the set up info needed to connect just any router to the eir system. Not piggy back onto the eir router . I want to replace it entirely so just need the full setup info required to connect hope this explains my response

If you do not have the technical expertise or knowledge to do this yourself, I wonder would you not be better off sticking with the Eir router

What will you do if, or more likely when, a problem occurs and you need to resolve it?

Not familiar with this router, but I guess connect the WAN port to the ONT using a suitable ethernet cable, and set the vlan tagging to 10.
boards.ie would be a good place to check in tghe broadband forum

Take a look at AVM and their range of equipment the Fritzbox system makes the whole area of multi add on routers to cover a wide area with WiFi Ethernet Repeaters Radiatior , lighting, internal telephone answering machine VPN and more in single MESH system very easy to use and manage. I have found nothing better.
That said all I want is the set up info needed to connect just any router to the eir system. Not piggy back onto the eir router . I want to replace it entirely so just need the full setup info required to connect hope this explains my response
Unifi will be better id imagine (i have a full unifi set up) but i still dont see how a router will help with a smart home set up apart from adding the connectivity. Again home assistant is what you want here.

if its FTTH then as the post above said itll be connect direct to the ONT, VLAN tagged to 10 and then google the eir username and password (i think its this, PPPOE ,eir@eir.ie Broadband1)

In which case...
Edit: sorry, just noticed now that you seem to have two Eir boxes - one is presumably the fibre modem and the other is the WiFi router? Have you tried simply replacing the latter with the Fritz box?

I'm also confused. The Fritz box device that you mentioned above seems to be a DSL rather than a fibre modem/router such as this one:

so I presume that you're not looking to completely replace the Eir box with your own?

If it's a case of you wanting to replace the Eir box's WiFi/LAN routing capabilities with your own WiFi router then service provider boxes sometimes have an option to switch them into "modem only" mode so that WiFi/routing is done externally. Sometimes this option isn't automatically available (e.g. with Virgin Media the customer may have to call them to get them to disable DS-Lite and enable IPv4 and then reboot for the option to appear in the VM Hub web based administrative interface). Is there anything like "modem only" or "no WiFi" option in the Eir box's administrative interface?

Unifi will be better id imagine (i have a full unifi set up) but i still dont see how a router will help with a smart home set up apart from adding the connectivity. Again home assistant is what you want here.

if its FTTH then as the post above said itll be connect direct to the ONT, VLAN tagged to 10 and then google the eir username and password (i think its this, PPPOE ,eir@eir.ie Broadband1)
Thank you that’s all I need. I operate my radio station remotely also via WireGuard VPN and Fritz make it very easy

Back