Fridge won't fit

hizzy

Hi All

Just looking for some help with the following. I have purchased a new house in County Cork. The foreman on the site suggested that I use the kitchen fitter that has installed 80% of the kitchens onsite.

So I met the kitchen fitter, decided to go for a different colour as per the showhouse, give him the measurements of the fridge, cooker and dishwasher, even though he didn't want them, but I was adamant that he took the measurements as the shop I purchased them from told me that I couldn't return them if they weren't the right size.

All was fine until my dad went to install the hob, it wouldn't fit, area was to small, got the fitter out and he fixed that.

My problem now is, my fridge won't fit, the space is too small, the fridge was too big for the space, out came the fitter and he took out the shelf that the fridge was on. Even though he was told it was free standing.

Now the fridge fits, but I can't open the door to the fridge or freezer, got fitter out last night, and he opened the fridge door, looked up the corner where the hinge is and said "thats your problem", it now looks like someone tampered with the door, there was no problem with the fridge door, but the screw holding the door on is gone. (Foreman has spare key, and he is best friends with the fitter)

When you open the door the fridge tilts, the fitter has basically turned around and said, "not my problem, there is nothing I can do".

Any advice would be very helpfull.

Hizzy

the screw holding the door on is gone.

Suggest maybe getting a new screw. Contact the shop or manufacturer.
What would the Foreman or the Fitter have to gain from tampering with your fridge ????

That I would go back to shop and get smaller fridge that will fit into the unit that he built, as for getting a new screw, there was nothing wrong with the fridge when I bought it 3 weeks ago

Hi

The fridge is on a plinth, the floor is tiled but not under the fridge

That I would go back to shop and get smaller fridge that will fit into the unit that he built,

I wouldn't think the foreman or fitter are stupid. They would know that even if you purchased a new smaller fridge, it will still not fit correctly into the space that has been provided and you as the customer will still not be happy.

Oh ok, I rang the foreman and he is going to meet me, basically the fitter is blaming the width of the door on the problem. Just don't know do I get him to take the whole kitchen out, which I'm sure I am going to have a problem with.

Is there something odd about the fridge? Most fridges are standard (600mm), and most kitchens are standard, so there usually isn't a problem fitting them? Fridges usually have adjustable legs so that you can get them to stand straight, have you checked these?

Hi

Fridge is bit bigger than normal, height wise, which is why I gave him the measurements, basically the fitter didn't leave enough room for the door to open out,

I don't understand how the height of the fridge has anything to do with the door opening. Is it a standard width fridge (600mm). As for the fridge tilting when opened, this is probably because it has not been levelled (with the adjustable base screws). It is important that the fridge is level and that all four base screws are in contact with the base shelf. Is the fridge pushed too far back into the recess?

Level the fridge and replace the screw, then see how things work out.

The fridge now fits in, but it slides into a unit built around it, with a wine rack on top, when you open the door it will only open 3/4's of the way, and then it hits off the side of the unit, as for it being level, it is level when it is on the floor, but he made a unit for an intergrated fridge

Just don't know do I get him to take the whole kitchen out, which I'm sure I am going to have a problem with.

If most of the problems (except for the fridge) have been sorted at this stage why would the whole kitchen need to be taken out?

A lot of doors can be reversed i.e. open on the opposite side. Would this help or is it possible?