Fridge too deep for press - solutions?

S

smokey

Hi,

I have recently bought an apartment and all of our appliances were delivered last week. We have one small problem. The depth of the fridge is about hafe an inch to big for the press that we want to put it into, so the doors wont close. It is not an integrated press/appliance. However, besides returning the fridge (may not be possible as a friend opened it and threw out all the packaging before we had a chance to check it) or taking the doors off (would ruin the look of the kitchen) is there anything else that we can do....Does anybody know of longer hinges that would add the extra depth and allow the doors to close over (even if there is a slight gap on either side)...or if I moved the existing hinges closer to the edge would that work (or would it put too much pressure on the wood at the side of the press causing it to crack). Any help on this would be much appreciated...

Re: Fridge to deep for press - solutions????

Could you cut the back off the press to allow the fridge to go further back into the press?

Re: Fridge to deep for press - solutions????

if the fridge is not made to be integrated you may have problems with the fridge overheating - you need quite a bit of ventilation around a fridge to keep it working properly. you should - take back off press - drill some holes at rear and front of press at base to allow air to circulate in some form.

Re: Fridge to deep for press - solutions?

A standard kitchen unit will have a back panel on it. But if it is for an appliance, then the back is removed, mainly to allow air to circulate behind it, as there is a lot of heat generated behind these appliance. Removing the back should give you at least 3 - 4 inches, if the kitchen was correctly installed in the first place.

Re: Fridge to deep for press - solutions?

Thanks for all your help guys. Unfortunately there is not back on the press - it is just built against the wall....so I reckon I should just look for a new fridge....

The electrical store will probaly take this back, even without the packaging and ask for a smaller one. You may be surprised

smokey,
Contact the company as soon as possible, explain the problem and make it clear that you're in the market for a new fridge, an intergrated one and that you're not looking for a refund, just an exchange.
Packaging or not they shouldn't have a problem with it.
I exchanged an oven with Power City because it was damaged but didn't notice until three weeks later when we finally moved in. They had no problem accomidating me and had a new one out immediately.
If they know they're not loosing your business they should be helpful.
ad

Back