Fridge/freezer tripping out power

bartbridge

Since I moved into the house I'm currently renting, we have had to clear out a build up of ice from the bottom of the freezer every other week. This is because one of the legs was damaged on the freezer when it was being installed so the unit is not level.

The problem now is the power has tripped out and it won't stay on with the fridge freezer plugged in. How bad is it, will a new fridge freezer have to be purchased or is there some easy way of fixing it?

I would imagine that the insulation seal has been pierced and is letting in moisture laden air which is condensing and forming ice withing the freezer. Try and find the hole and block it with some kitchen sealant . Whilst not ideal the alternative is a new freezer. I would seriously doubt it could be economically repaired otherwise.

Well the landlady will be footing the bill in any case, she was living there when it was damaged. Freezer full of food rapidly defrosting :(

We left the fridge/freezer off for a couple of days and it's now working fine again. Moisture must have dried up, we gave it a helping hand with the hairdryer on Friday but it only ran for about 20 mins before tripping out again. A couple of people suggested leaving it for a couple of days and it seems to have worked, fingers crossed...

Back