Fridge Freezer dilema

alert

Hello,

Would anyone know the best brand of Built-in Frezer and built-in Fridge on the market? I'm specifically interested in durability, efficiency, storage and cost.

We've been recommended Liebherr but we're are unsure that the price justifies the product.

ALERT.

even the cheapest fridges should be good for 20 years, way beyond the point at which you would be sick of looking it. you should look at features and size, not the badge on the front

Hi,

Don't agree with XT40. You get what you pay for!. I have Liebherr both Fridge and Freezer......top quality products. I would highly recommend.

I got a Miele 2 years ago and have no problem / am happy with it. I suggest you google consumer reviews of different models.

I also think that fridges and freezers generally last a long time, compared to other big electrical products, but I bought a Hotpoint fridge for 199 euros and it broke down after a year and a half. It would cost 100 euros for the service team to come and look at it and hopefully fix it, so it wasn't really worth fixing it, IMO, so I said good bye to it.

I bought a Zanussi frost free fridge/freezer in 1998 and had to replace it in early 2006 (had the engineers out twice in the first 5 years, it finally gave up the ghost). It wasn't top of the range, but wasn't a bargain basement purchase either.

Replaced it with a Bosch - fingers crossed!

Treat energy consumption as a key factor in your selection. Over the life of a fridge freezer, the electricity costs (which are likely to only go up over the timeframe) could easily work out a lot more expensive than the product itself!

Our top of the range 8yo Fridge/Freezer "Hotpoint Mistral" just gave up the ghost.

Up to this it never gave an ounce of trouble.

Our domestic applliancc engineer has suggested that it is cheaper to buy a new one than try to repair the old one.

His advice was to go for a simple basic model with a seperate (1-6) dial in the fridge part.

He maintains that all fridge/freezers are bascially the same.

Hi ajapale,

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "gave up the ghost" please? Did the "domestic appliance engineer" explain what the problem was? ie was it the compressor or a gas leak or something else? We've had our current fridge-freezer for nearly 8 years and the only bother we've had from it was the thermostat needed replacing twice.

Thanks,
ALERT.

Yes, it started heating up and cooling down in cycles. The appliance guy doesnt do fridges but figures its either the motor, the gas or the thermostat.

We've been recommended Liebherr but we're are unsure that the price justifies the product.
Neighbours of mine have a Liebherr Biofresh fridge and they say it is fantastic, vegetables that are past their best before date look as fresh as they day they were picked.

Yes, it started heating up and cooling down in cycles. The appliance guy doesnt do fridges but figures its either the motor, the gas or the thermostat.
doesnt sound like much of an engineer. stats are usually the only thing that goes and they only cost 10-20 euro