fridge for new kitchen

G

Am in the process of getting my kitchen designed. My fiance would prefer an integrated under the counter fridge with a freezer in the utility room. I think these are too small and would be prefer to put in a built-in fridge freezer. Apparently, the doors quite frequently come off over time from opening the fridge. I would be grateful for your opinions or experiences.

With fridges it seems you get what you pay for.

The main stream brands in power city & the like are cheap, dont last & poor design.

I didnt fully understand this 'till we got a Liebherr fridge. Nice finish, good internal fittings & even though its quite small holds a lot more than some 'big fridges'

As for fridge/freezer combo units generally thay dont have seperate controls for each part - not a good idea

An A rated appliance may cost more up front but will probably save on the running and environmental costs in the long run.

[broken link removed]

Hint: (learned the hard way)

Make sure the power supply to your freezer is fitted with a switch, so you can defrost the freezer with having to switch off supply to the whole kitchen at the fuse box.

liebher fridges

Hi Elderdog,

Just wondering where I would purchase a Liebherr Fridge.

Hi Guest,

I got a Bosch fridge/freezer some time ago which has 2 separate motors and therefore separate controls.

The thing that would drive me mad about an under the worktop fridge is that you use a fridge quite often and that is why the fridge is usually the top unit in fridge/freezer combination. You will therefore have to bend down a lot more which, of course, is harder on the ol' back.

Re: liebher fridges

Ummm

Forget the name of the company but they are ( were ? ) in the Ballyfermot Industrial Estate ( the one that is across the road from Cherry Orchard Hospital ). Its not one of your big retail outfits - more like a supplier of components to kitchen builders IIRC

You can also go 'international' :D and get one from the North if it is handy for you.

Lots of data on fridges on the net - thats where I came across Liebherr - needed a fridge to fit in a certain size gap

[broken link removed] is dead handy for comparions of features even more than price I find.

fridges-energy rating

"A plus" and "A double plus" are the best energy ratings, A is only standard .B and lower are already outdated,like the information of SEI concerning energy labeling of household appliances. Check the newest catalogs(Liebherr,Bosch etc.).

fridges-energy rating

> "A plus" and "A double plus" are the best energy ratings, A is only standard .B and lower are already outdated,like the information of SEI concerning energy labeling of household appliances. Check the newest catalogs(Liebherr,Bosch etc.).

A link to some more up to date and authoritative information wouldn't go amiss so...

fridge

If you decide to go for separate fridge and freezer make sure that you go for a fridge which doesn't have an ice-box. I think most "small" fridges still have an ice-box but if you'll have a freezer anyway it'll just be a waste of space in your fridge.

fridges-energy rating

EU directive 2003/66 (in force)
Available under
[broken link removed]
Go to "legislation in force" and then to "domestic appliances-labeling".
The new EU directive states that "A plus"has a 25% less energy demand than an "A" rated appliance,an "A double plus" uses at least 45% less energy than an "A"rated one.
And of course you find information from any reputable
appliance dealer.

fridges-energy rating

Thanks for the information heinbloed.

dishwasher door integrated

A very good friend of mine has an integrated dish washer again the door came off as the weight of the wood was too much. this happened her a couple of years ago on one of the other integrated appliances

Fridge

Will be in the market myself soon. I don't understand though, whats the disadvantage of getting a fridge/freezer? How about one of those big American things that are all the rage now? I remember looking at a seperate fridge and freezer that were the same size and designed to stand side by side recently - any opinions on that approach? Thanks

Hi Bren,

I suppose it really depends on how much space you have to spare in your kitchen. IMHO the big American things are a bit OTT. If you have enough space the 2 units side by side would be useful. Make sure that you will make full use of the freezer as I understand that they use more electricity if they are not completely full.

American Fridge

Just be careful with the American Fridge - you'll need to plumb it for water and ice dispenser functions

Back