Fridge died, claim under insurance?

tallpaul

The freezer part of our fridge-freezer has gone kaput and, according to the repairman, is beyond repair. Does anyone know if a such a thing can be claimed under house insurance? I know the contents of a freezer are covered but that is not at issue here.

You may be able to cliam really depends on you policy ie the excess amount etc etc. Because of no cliams bonus etc you may be better to just buy a new one!

Surely you would be claiming it under a guarantee (depending on age) & not insurance, which is not going to cover it anyway. If your car breaks down on the side of the road, your insurance co. might provide roadside assist as an extra, but they're not going to pay for it to be repaired.

If you have accidental damage cover (and the new-for-old clause in your policy) - and the item is non-functioning due to an accident - you may be able to claim under your policy, subject to any excess.

I may be wrong, but I do not know of any contents insurance which offers new-for-old on appliances dying of old age.

hi,
If the fridge went as a result of an insured risk - i.e. a specific event then it is covered, ...if however it is as a result of wear and tear then it is not covered.
I don't think you will have any joy with an insurance company - I think the guarantee is the way to go.

Back