French Style

Thrifty

Hi,

Hoping to move into my new house soon after months of legal problems. Its a small teraced cottage which i wanted to do in a modern cottage style keeping it sympathetic to the building but without looking too twee. From what i've already bought I seem to be ending up with a sort of French cottage style in the sitting room and want to continue the theme into the kitchen and possibly the bedrooms. I'm up in Dublin this weekend and would welcome any suggestions as to shops where i might find household goods, material, furnishings with a kindof French style.

thanks

I know I'm not answering your question, but have a look at this site- I saw on another thread that they deliver to Ireland- I'm not sure if that IS the case, but the furniture - maison- authentic style- is ' tres chic' as is the linge de maison- 'Berengere'. I was in Dublin a couple of years back and was just back from a trip to France, where I had bought a few bits and pieces for my then new house- I went into a French import shop, I think it was in Dun Laoghaire, and saw a few things that I had bought for vastly inflated prices- now fair enough, they have to make a profit, but if you really want some French style, the cheapest way to do it is to pop over on the Ferry for a few days and check out the shops over there- Fly, La Huppe, Laredoute( like Argos over there), and the local Brocantes ( second hand / antique furniture). I've seen the most gorgeous furniture over there- some day I'm going over with a van, and not coming back until its full!

Lovely stuff in the catalogue. Thanks for the advice. Toying with the idea of poping over to France - combine holiday with shopping trip. Is that French Import shop still around - wouldn't mind having a look anyway?

Don't know, I'm afraid, havent been up in a while- am sure some of the other contributors will advise. For what its worth, I think a trip to France would be a good idea- but maybe plan ahead on where to go. For example, I am fairly familiar with certain areas of Normandy and would know where to go- the best Brocantes are ones in rural areas. I know one in particular that has fantastic armoires, buffets etc at fairly reasonable prices- but its BIG furniture! If you just go over and don't know where to go, you might spend too much time looking for the shops and not enough time shopping!

I can't figure out how you get the redoute people to deliver to Ireland.

It says that they can but then redirects you to the UK site/catalogue which doesn't deliver to Ireland.

If you figure it out, please let me know. I'm stone mad about the way the French and Germans tackle window dressing and would love to buy some of the stuff here but you can't even get the material to try to make them up yourself, so buying over there is the only answer.

If you come up with any more French Country sources would love to hear too.

Rebecca

You need to order throught laredoute.fr for a delivery to Ireland. the UK site don't do it. The delivery charges are as follows

standard charge of EUR 5.00 + 5% of invoiced goods.

I also came across a new shop in the Deansgrange Business Park, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, called Savannah Interiors. They stock some really nice items. Have a look at their suppliers catalogue
[broken link removed]

Hi Samantha- have you ordered successfully from laredoute? Can one order furniture or is it just clothing etc?

I only order chlothings, never try the furnitures or appliances. I will check their terms and conditions but as far as I remember you can order anything from the catalog.

I have checked the terms and conditions and I was wrong you can only order from 5 boutiques which are Womenswear - lingerie - menswear - Childrenswear and sport - you cannot order furnitures or appliance. Pity !!!

Thanks for that Samantha- yes, it is a pity- have had my eye on their 'authentic style' furniture for a while now. Oh well, will just have to go again to France!

Back