French family statment offensive and inappropriate

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pixiebean22

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/judge-french-family-statement-offensive-and-inappropriate-483833.html

A judge has said the victim impact statement of the family of killed mother of two Rebecca French was "offensive and inappropriate".

Concerned that it may appear he was influenced by the report, Mr Justice Barry White has adjourned sentencing four men who admitted disposing of the 30-year-old's body which was found in the boot of a blazing car in Wexford in October 2009.

The four are Lithuanians Ricardas Dilys and Ruslanas Mineikas with an address at Goodtide Harbour, Patrick O’Connor of Ard na Dara, Clonard and Polish man Piotr Pasiak of Lower John Street.

Rebecca French’s family said in an emotive victim impact statement taht those behind her death were "animals".

It continued: "People with criminal records in their own country should never be allowed to live among us."

Mr Justice Barry White was due to hand down sentences to the four men guilty of impeding her murder investigation this morning but held back because of the report which was read out in court yesterday.

He said there might be a perception that he had been influenced by the comments of the French family some of which he branded as xenophobic, and added that justice must be seen to be done.

He has put the case back until next month for the DPP to give an opinion on the victim impact report and whether Mr White should stand down as judge in the case.

While I do think that a statement like that will only incite a sort of racism debate, I do identify with what they've said and believe it should be common practice that people with criminal records for certain crimes should not be granted entry to other countries. I assume a person with a violent criminal past (i.e. rape, murder, assault etc) does not face the same procedures as someone with a conviction for possession of drugs but I may be wrong?

These statements realy should be vetted first before they are read out in court.

Like Majella Holohan talking about semen, evidence which couldn't be proven but certainly got in the papers

Won't affect the outcome of the trail but as shown above, affect the sentencing

Rebecca French’s family said in an emotive victim impact statement taht those behind her death were "animals".

It continued: "People with criminal records in their own country should never be allowed to live among us."

No problem with any of that. She is right IMO. It is not zenophobic to say so, just common sense.

Its not zenophobic anyway, its xenophobic :)

But on the subject of what was said - no, its not xenophobic, its sensible. I fail to see how it was offensive.

Why not have the victim impact statement read out after the sentencing?

Why not have the victim impact statement read out after the sentencing?

Isn't it one of the factors that's SUPPOSED to influence sentencing? (although, clearly, you have to watch what you say).

Folks

i am closing this thead as it's not easy to have such discussions without defamation, racism, or breaking the sub judice rule.

I am sure that it is being discussed on other websites.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back