Freestanding stove installation-is my quote for labour too high?

diver

Hi all,

Just wondering, has anyone had a multifuel stove installed recently and how did the overall price fare out?

I'm about to have a freestanding stove installed in my livingroom. A local fireplace showroom is supplying the stove and doing the work involved.
I'm happy with the cost of the products but I'm a little concerned that the price for the work involved may be a little too high.

Products
Stove: Henley Skellig 9.5kw Cream enamel Eur 990
Supply firebricks for inside chamber Eur 360
Flue Eur 225
Granite hearth Eur 300
Total product price: Eur 1,575

The labour and price involved is as follows:

Removal of old fireplace and hearth and large chamber kango'd out.
Existing fire lintel to be raised
2" firebricks to be fitted to inside of chamber and all associated plasterwork.
Fitting of stove and new hearth.
Total labour price Eur 1,350

Am I paying too much for the works above?

All opinions gratefully received!

Cant comment on the labour (but we just installed our new stove last weekend ourselves, non boiler, sitting on heath fitted into flat blockwork, half a days work over two days) but we got new large hearth and two back pieces made to order in granite workshop. we went for quartz in the end and both pieces cost 430€, the hearth was €220. We found any stove shop selling them off the shelf were much dearer so perhaps a saving could be made there.

We put in a cream stove also, so looks fab with cream quartz and our old timber mantle but dovre 425 is our model, €1190 with no need for firebricks as complete metal inside. Our old stove Mulberry Yeats had firebricks and we had to keep replacing them as they cracked.

Hi John,

No, it's just a room heater stove, (non boiler), by the sounds of things, it will heat the whole house!

Cant comment on the labour (but we just installed our new stove last weekend ourselves, non boiler, sitting on heath fitted into flat blockwork, half a days work over two days) but we got new large hearth and two back pieces made to order in granite workshop. we went for quartz in the end and both pieces cost 430€, the hearth was €220. We found any stove shop selling them off the shelf were much dearer so perhaps a saving could be made there.

We put in a cream stove also, so looks fab with cream quartz and our old timber mantle but dovre 425 is our model, €1190 with no need for firebricks as complete metal inside. Our old stove Mulberry Yeats had firebricks and we had to keep replacing them as they cracked.

Hi Sandals,
I think I've done well on all the products, it's the labour I'm querying.
Your stove and surroundings sound beautiful, enjoy!

Did they tell you how long it was going to take them? To me it looks like a days work, so 1350 for the day sounds extremely expensive.

Hi Chrisboy,

They said it will definitely take a day, there will be two people on the job. If they don't finish within a day, it will take an hour or two the following day but no more than that.

I think I may have got a "celtic tiger" quote alright..........

Hi Chrisboy,

They said it will definitely take a day, there will be two people on the job. If they don't finish within a day, it will take an hour or two the following day but no more than that.

I think I may have got a "celtic tiger" quote alright..........

If it was me, I'd be looking for a few more quotes..

Back