Freestanding kitchens

D

darraghdog

Hi all,

I am installing a new kitchen and I have approximately 8 or 9 sqm. space to put it in. Yesterday I talked with somebody about freestanding kitchens and the concept sounded quite interesting - solid kitchens that you can move when you move house. Does anybody else have experience with such kitchens, tips or supplier recommendations would be welcome.

Darragh.

habitat do these in solid wood. they look dear but are not too bad when you compare them to a fitted kitchen.

Hi,
Ikea also do at least two freestanding kitchens which are very nice. And very attractively priced. You can make up a large or small kitchen depending on how much room you have to play with. Varde is one of their lines which is really nice, a sort of blonde oak.

Obviously for the moment you would have to go over to the UK to have a look at them and order them, but you could get it delivered by a delivery company operating out of their Glasgow store. They will take two Ikea flatbed trolleyloads (which is a lot) over to Ireland for Sterling 150, I think. (I have had deliveries myself but forget exactly how much, but it was OK).

You can fly to Glasgow with Aer Lingus or Ryanair. Aer Lingus flies to Glasgow International and the Ikea store is only 10 mins away by taxi. (Ryanair flies to Prestwick which is much further away).
When Ikea come to Belfast in December 07 (expected opening) you can drive up there which will make it a lot easier.

I would have thought that potential buyers, when you eventually sell the place, would be more than a bit put off by the absence of a kitchen, or the the reduction in price that they would be seeking would be disproportionate to the cost of leaving in a kitchen.

You may also consider that you would need to remove any kitchen in your next residence before moving your own freestanding one in, again at would probably be a costly exercise.

Personally, I would fit the kitchen in your present place and happily wave it goodbye when moving.

Back