Freesat cards — is there any difference...?

DrMoriarty

...between [broken link removed] that satone.tv sell for £30 and the one sold by for £20?

I'm heading over to the UK in a couple of weeks; am I right in thinking that I could just buy one over the counter (Sky say you can buy it 'from large Comet and Currys stores and most independent retailers'), get my mate there to activate it in his digibox, bring it home and slap it into my own box (which is not connected to a phone line)?

Also — I read in a previous thread that I need to give him the make/model/serial no. of the digibox in order for him to activate it. Is that so? Satone.tv say that their pre-activated cards will work in any digibox, so I presume it only has to be 'married' to your box when you have a subscription?

I got a friend of mine in the UK to buy the card which cost 20 pounds and was posted to him. He in turn posted it to me. I then gave him the details of my digibox and when he called sky (when I told him the card was in the box and box turned on) to activate the card he used those details. Within minutes my card came alive. That was some time go maybe 18 months so things may have changed.

Ensure your friend is living in a part of the UK without a regional version of BBC.
I have a welsh freeview card, so the first few channels are the welsh versions. You can access all the local english variations but they are from channel 900 on.
Also, ensure your friend has a TV licence. Buying a freview set or a TV automatically notifies the licencing people here.

Thanks, I'll do it that way, Hansov.

rob30, the guy lives in the South-West, so I presume that when he rings Sky to activate the card he'll have to give a name and address, and I'll end up with that as the default region (my other old 'Yellow House' card is North-East & Cumbria). It doesn't matter too much, since I can add whatever regional variation I want — probably N.I. — through the favourites.

Are you both saying that what I shouldn't do is pop the card into my friend's digibox for 24 hours, or it'll somehow end up 'married' to his box and may not work in mine...? But how then can satone sell pre-registered cards that will work in any box? Do they take people's digibox IDs as part of the ordering process?
We purchase large batches of Freesat cards directly from Sky which are pre-activated to make setup even easier for you. For this reason Sky activate the cards on our behalf in the region they come from. If you would prefer a different region of ITV for example, you can do so from the additional channels option.

Also — I read in a previous thread that I need to give him the make/model/serial no. of the digibox in order for him to activate it. Is that so? Satone.tv say that their pre-activated cards will work in any digibox, so I presume it only has to be 'married' to your box when you have a subscription?

You are correct. It used to be the case that even Freesat cards were paired with a particular box but that is no longer the case. Now they work in any box.

I went my route because my friend didn't have a box. However I have used it in other digiboxes since and Modus is quite correct it is not married to one box only.

Back