Freelander or CR-V

saintstephen

Have to get a new(2nd Hand) car and we had our hearts set on a Land Rover Freelander 1.8l petrol or 2l diesel. Liked the looks etc.
BUT a few friend have said they heard they weren't great lots of problems , and recomended a Honda CR-V 2l petrol , don't like the look as much but not going to let the heart rule the head , the year will be 1997-2000.
Thanks

Neither..
- Freelander is unreliable
- CRV is a reliable light weight tin can

What is said about Freelanders of that age is absolutely true. My daughter has one! Also try driving it before deciding. I guarantee you won't enjoy the experience. I've no direct experience of the Honda but a friend is on his second and swears by them.

the honda may be bland but if you love heartache get the freelander, freelanders favourite trick is over heating and big dollars for the experience

Have a 98 2L diesel Freelander from new. Had a few recalls in the beginning but no major problems, and it has never over-heated. Can be a bit sluggish starting off, but goes fine one it heats up - can be a bit noisy though compared to new cars. PM me if you want any further info.

If you are going for a Freelander then the diesel is a must, my mother is on her second and has had very little trouble with them. The 2L diesel is a BMW engine and is as reliable in the freelander as it is in the 3 Series. Before the 2 Freelanders she had a Rav4 diesel and in my opinion that was much better and 10mpg more econonical at about 45mpg. I like hondas and of the 2 you mention I would go for it but beware of high fuel costs!!

[broken link removed]&

It's worth a look. You'll find the CRV on the same site and also other sites reviewing both cars.

Last edited:
Neither..
- Freelander is unreliable
- CRV is a reliable light weight tin can

I have to agree. If you need to go off road sometimes get something tougher. If not buy a car or estate or mpv.

Apart from neing a dodgy fashion statement, soft roaders achieve very little.

from my knowledge stay clear of honda - tin can and nissan worse with a roll.

from my knowledge stay clear of honda - tin can and nissan worse with a roll.

stay clear of a honda.....your joking right! honda engines and quality builds are immense.

I find it hard to criticise Honda for build or reliability and cant understand anyone that does! Look at the JD power surveys in the UK, they have topped the list in at least the last two years.

Top gear did a bit on the crash tests of cars.
The freelander came out very badly.

Big and tough looking is a facade.

God forbid you need to find out but i would look at crash ratings.

Most of these type of vehicles do badly in the NCAP tests because they do very badly on pedestrian counts due to the large frontal area. But in general they are less safe than a car because of their relative extra weight (gives poor braking performance), extra height (poor cornering due to excessive body roll) and softer suspension (again poorer cornering and braking). All this adds up to overall poorer dynamics so you are more likely to crash when driving in a similar manner to you would in a car but if you slow down and don’t expect them to behave in a car like manner they are fine.

The one on top gear was after the 30 mph offside into a block.

dash was pushed back roof was about to split pedal box was into feet door surround was deformed.

A new corsa gave more protection to the driver and passenger.

As I said tough looking car soft as sh*&^. plus all the other inherant problems as mentioned by John

Steer clear buy a good Saloon or estate car.

Thanks for all the advice....
after a bit more research it came down to the cr-v or a santa fe...
thanks pat127 , the web site was really interesting..
yesterday i got the santa fe , 01 ,42k great nick , 11,500...
hopefully correct choice