free to air

M

marian tipp 23

Hello all.

Am moving to tipperary and have some telly questions.
If i put up an external ariel can I get rte 1, 2, tv3 and tg4 ?
If I also put up a free to air satelite can I get bbc, utv and ch4?

Suppose my basic question is whether this is the most economical way to get these channels without a monthly subscription charge?

Hope this makes sense,
Thanks.

In theory you should be able to get the 4 irish channels. a lot of this of course depends on your local terain. There is also a chance you may have o use 2 aerials for them.

With a satellite you would get the BBC channels only for free. UTV ad Channel 4 are not freely available. However, if you know someon in the UK you could get them to buy a Free Sat Card for 20 sterlign which would get you them. Alternatively, its possible there might be a deflector system in yoru area.

the best bet really is to drive along in yoru neighbourhood and see what other people have on their chimneys....

marion tipp 23,
i'm in north tipperary. needed two aerials for the irish channels. i also bought a sat dish and box outright...cost €350 at the time and receive all free to air channels from uk...bbc1,2,3,4, all itv channels, c4, c5 etc etc.
hth

ITV1 and 2, Channel 4 and Channel 5 are not free to air. They are free to view. You HAVE to have a card to view them. The difference with them being that you can get the card if you live in the UK for a one off payment of 20 sterling.
if you have freinds or family over there then you can ask them to order one for themselves and send it on to you. The card is not married to their box. However, this is technically illegal...but everyone does it.

Hi guys, thanks very much for the informative replies despite the poor spelling.

One other quick question - Is there anywhere I can get a list of channels that are free to air?

Sorry just read that, sounds terrible. Just to make it clear I meant the poor spelling in MY first message.

[broken link removed]

No worries with the spelling!

Re: ..

Didn't I read in the Sunday Business Post (aka An Phoblacht) that there were a number of new commercial channels about to start broadcasting into Ireland from the UK?