Free soft drinks for designated drivers this Xmas

cmalone

I note advert on radio for www.designateddriver.ie Only a relatively small few pubs are participating. Why is this? Hopefully not greedy publicans! Even the press release gives an official definition of what is a 'designated' driver. So no free drinks!

Re: Designated drivers will be thirsty this Chrimbo

I would have expected publicans to happily open a bottle of coke for drivers (who will safely ferry home their other intoxicated customers). Maybe i am the only one with a spirit of Christmas!

cmalone i dont really understand what you're trying to say here. The press release states "The 2007 Coca-Cola Designated Driver Campaign, offer three non-alcoholic beverages available to drivers free-of-charge"!
To be a designated driver you must be driving 2 other people home and abstaining from alcohol. From the list of pubs i looked at in dublin there seems to be a good choice of pubs in each area participating. I think its a great idea. A mineral can cost nearly 3 euro in a pub, so to be able to go out and not have to pay for your drinks is a great incentive to drive and not drink!

The drinks industry is providing the beverages at cost price i assume- and i have no local pub listed in my area- why isn't it a 'standard practice' for all publicans to offer a free soft drink to such drivers- not just a few pubs!

Pubs sell beverages to the public to make money..they dont have to give anything away for free...theyre a business like anything else! I think we shouldnt knock a decent attempt to curb drink driving regardless whether they come straight from coca cola or the publicans themselves.

cmalone - your thread title and original post suggest that no designated driver will get free soft drinks when this is patently not true. You should correct this misleading information!

cmalone - your thread title and original post suggest that no designated driver will get free soft drinks when this is patently not true. You should correct this misleading information!

Indeed. In fact, a member of my party received a few free soft drinks on Saturday night in Dublin city centre, although they were asked to show their car keys as proof!

OK - I've changed your misleading thread title but you should change your misleading post yourself.

Did anyone notice that there are now seven counties in the North (Monaghan seems to have moved)

I have to say I'm a bit surprised to see that only two city-centre pubs, (I'm not including hotels or restaurants here), in Cork are taking part in this initiative despite the backing of such organisations as the LVA, the VFI and MEAS, amongst others. It seems a pretty pathetic uptake given the number of pubs in the city.

Maybe city centre pubs are well enough served by public transport or something?

Maybe city centre pubs are well enough served by public transport or something?

ClubMan, you obviously haven't been to Cork lately!! Mind you, is there anywhere in this country adequately served by public transport??

i work at night and i have NEVER got a free drink under this scheme. Is it invisible or something ???

I work in Hotels etc just to add.

Were you ever a designated driver for two or more other people? I'd also imagine that you need to ask. Most bartenders aren't mind readers in my experience.

. . why isn't it a 'standard practice' for all publicans to offer a free soft drink to such drivers- not just a few pubs!
AFAIK the practice in Australia is that soft drinks are free to designated drivers. It's a good idea which should be implemented across the board here.
Pubs sell beverages to the public to make money..they dont have to give anything away for free...theyre a business like anything else!
Unfortunately most Pubs illegally sell to inebriated customers.

I suppose that a proprietor might argue that, at least in relation to his customers who are on cocaine, he can't tell whether or not they are inebriated.