Free Legal Aid Solicitor

J

jordata

Hi,
I am going through a separation and am eligible for free legal aid. The solicitor I have been assigned and I do not see eye-to-eye on a lot of the issues. She is young and has no children so has no real understanding of the problems I have. I am quite sure she knows the letter of the law but I don't feel she is the best person to fight my case. I had gotten legal advice from a different solicitor before FLA kicked in and found her much better and easy to deal with.
My queries are, firstly, would it be possible for me to request a different solicitor from the legal aid board? Should I go back to the previous solicitor and pay her for advice? Will I have to stick with the solicitor I have been assigned?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.

As far as I'm aware you can change solicitors within a Legal Aid office and indeed change from one Legal Aid Board office to another in a different town.

Naturally you can pay for a private solicitor too if you wish.

Hi,
I have been assigned and I do not see eye-to-eye on a lot of the issues. She is young and has no children so has no real understanding of the problems I have.

It would be relatively common for Legal Aid Board clients to ask to be assigned a different solicitor. Note unless you are in Dublin you may be assigned someone else in that same office.

You would have to come up with a better reason other than the fact that she is young and has no children though.

I understand too well where you are coming from. I was granted free legal aid on a medical case. The appointed solicitor was an older woman in my case. we didnt not see eye to eye.She didnt even want to listen to anything I want to say. She did everything to make sure i wasn't going to get my case taken any further. She ruined my case and now I will be taking it on myself. The matter of the unprofession legal aid solicitor is now in the hands of the Law Society of Ireland. Hope it goes ok for u.

I was granted free legal aid on a medical case.
Who granted you free legal aid? The Legal Aid Board don't give free legal aid for example. As their FAQ says:

Who granted you free legal aid? The Legal Aid Board don't give free legal aid for example. As their FAQ says:

Sorry it was Legal advice that I was granted and it wasn't free as it cost me 10 euro. On this here I got my medical report from a consultant paid for. I had requested a copy of it in Jan of this year and sent 5 letters since. Today I only received the report after contacting the Law Society. The managing solicitor was very unprofessional and refused to answer my letters. The other matter in the way my case was handled is still been investigated.