Free Crypto with Revolut

Thanks for posting this.

Where are these 'free' coins coming from? Is it a promotional scheme from Revolut to get more users to invest in these coins?

And if one were to sell the €11 immediately, which I'd imagine a lot of users did, is it Revolut who are buying these back, or Polkadot investors?

I may hang onto mine, one tweet from Musk and it could be worth €100 overnight.

Where are these 'free' coins coming from? Is it a promotional scheme from Revolut to get more users to invest in these coins?
I'd imagine the cost is being covered by Revolut and the Web3 Foundation (as stewards of the Polkadot project). I think it's probably the first time Revolut has done anything like this. However, these educational styled promotions have been quite popular and have been ongoing over quite a number of years already. I'm not sure if they still do this but Coinbase used to do a lot of them. There's a huge knowledge gap to be bridged if Web3 is to make it to mass market and this style of promotion is far better than multi million dollar stadium sponsorships.

Here are some more examples - LINK (I have not tried any of these so no idea what the deal is with them).

And if one were to sell the €11 immediately, which I'd imagine a lot of users did, is it Revolut who are buying these back, or Polkadot investors?
Revolut's first foray into crypto didn't excite anyone in the sector. They're not actual tokens. It's just a digital representation of the token price. They have not bought said tokens. For that reason, you can't move them on/off the platform. Paypal started out the same way and have now addressed that - allowing the free movement of actual tokens on and off platform. Revolut has expressed the intention to follow suit but that may take some time yet.

Last edited:
1662386239430.png

@Steven Barrett as I'm sure your aware in crypto -13.32% or 100% loss annualized.....is actually considered a good result........its the -70% per month performance tokens that you need to be careful off, they're the real 'dodgy' ones ;)

@Steven Barrett , I'm pretty sure you've been following the discussion over the past 5 years. And if you have, then you're aware that these projects are volatile. Bitcoin in the grand scheme of things has a piddly little market cap. These other projects are in the ha'penny place by comparison.

95% of the discussion here has centered on the ultimate success/failure of Bitcoin. If that's contentious, then these other projects are much more so. When internet 1.0/2.0 developed, there were many underlying protocols. Eventually, the industry settled on a handful. They're of vital importance - without them, this platform right here wouldn't function. These projects are protocols. It's inevitable that only a handful of them can be left standing. Add that all up and you can appreciate that there's a logic to current volatility. @letitroll can gloat about that all he wants. 2030 awaits. :cool:

Last edited:
Incidentally, if you have a Coinbase account, they provide "learning opportunities" about once a month for some of the more obscure crypto coins but you can convert them into Bitcoin or other crypto in the Coinbase app very easily. I've little interest in Crypto but have built it up to around $50 over the last 8 months for little more then 15 mins of my time

I've worked in finance for almost 25 years. Investments that fall that far, that quickly are only going one way...to €0.
I don't have particularly strong views on the staying power of specific projects beyond Bitcoin at this point - other than believing that most will vapourise and we'll be left with a handful. That handful will grow exponentially but as to whether Polkadot will be one of those, I've no idea.

There hasn't been much in TradFi that's comparable - maybe VC investing where VCs either make outsized gains on a specific project or write down others to zero. That's not something retail folks have ever had access to. Other than that, tech stocks have been incredibly volatile to the down side over the past 12 months. Whether some of them match your example over 4 months, I'm unsure but they're definitely close to it at the very least.

Last edited:
Back