Free Banking

rochs

I would like Help in answering two Questions.

(1) Do all Banks allow over 60's Free Banking.

(2) Are OAP entitled to exemption from Dirt Tax.

Thanks.

rochs

I don't know the answer to (1) but most banks offer some sort of free banking - it's been a long time since I paid for banking and I'm far from over 60...

The over 65's are exempt from DIRT only if they earn under the relevant income limits. See Revenue for details.

There are plenty of bank accounts that charge you nothing so long as you are in credit, regardless of age.

Why pay banking fees to these "b"ankers: they're already getting your taxes!

National Irish bank offer free banking, but I'm annoyed to see that their "best" current account offers 2.75% interest but only to those under 27 years of age.

[broken link removed]

It's on the comparisons page. Check Descriptions -"Freedom is a customer package directed at 18 -27 year olds and consists of basic banking facilities and also includes some financial benefits."

You can get free banking with AIB once you use their online banking for one transaction once every three months and same for their laser card.

Are there any benefits other than free banking which are available to the over 60s.

It's on the comparisons page. Check Descriptions -"Freedom is a customer package directed at 18 -27 year olds and consists of basic banking facilities and also includes some financial benefits."

It may be aimed at 18-27 year olds but I don't think the T&C's prevent someone 28 or over applying for this account?

Actually I'm thinking of calling into the bank next week with a view to transferring my current account to the Freedom current account. Sure I'm 27 (and more) so I should be eligible.