Framing a Map

Wiggles

Hi,

I have a map of the world, it is approx 10ft x 5ft and comes in three pieces. I would like to frame it or mount it on wood but have no clue how to do it or where I could get it done.

Anyone do anything like this before?? Got any tips/advice??

A "proper" frame that size will cost you a small fortune. Why not get a big piece of light (i.e. thinnest possible) chipboard cut to size, then mount it with photo-mounting spray and — once that's dry — finish it off with a spraycan of polyurythane varnish to keep it from fading/getting stained...?

Not too sure about the polyurythane varnish, but the chipboard and mounting spray is a good start.

Thanks.

You could certainly pass on the varnish if the paper has a reasonably durable/wipeable gloss or semi-gloss finish, and/or if the thing is going to be hung out of reach of direct sunlight and/or small, grubby fingers...:)

I'd advise going for 4mil ply. Chipboard isn't the strongest sheet material in the world. You could also use MDF, but this tends to be quite heavy.

Instead of varnishing, how about attaching a thin sheet of perspex to the front?
Leo

Leo said:
I'd advise going for 4mil ply. Chipboard isn't the strongest sheet material in the world. You could also use MDF, but this tends to be quite heavy.

Instead of varnishing, how about attaching a thin sheet of perspex to the front?
Leo

I was thinking about perspex but then I reckon I would need have a fram on it as well. Framing something that big could be costly.

Leo's right about the weight factor. But in fairness anything 5' x 10' is going to put a fair strain on your hooks...

I was walking back to work after lunch and passed a bus stop. Couldn't help but notice the 5' x 3' perspex sheets protecting the Adshel billboard poster...:D

DrMoriarty said:
I was walking back to work after lunch and passed a bus stop. Couldn't help but notice the 5' x 3' perspex sheets protecting the Adshel billboard poster...:D

Thats a good excuse for staring at that Hunky Dory's advert!!

You read my mind, earthling! While we're at it, which one would you throw out? :D

I betcha there'll be a rash of "righteous" complaints from the Sisters about that ad. When it does come up under "Letting off steam", I was wondering which comparable ad ("objectifying" men) might be cited in our pitiful defence as evidence of the aul' double-standard..?

While not a double standard in advertising, I'd have thought the current treatment of a recent incident involving a certain newspaper editor across the water might suffice as evidence of a double standard!!

DrMoriarty said:
You read my mind, earthling! While we're at it, which one would you throw out? :D

The Blonde!!

Can't see why it would cause any controversy. Turn on the TV and you half naked girls all day long, I think its called MTV!!!

Not that I'm complaining!

Wiggles said:
The Blonde!!
Yeah, she's a right cross face on her, hasn't she? So much for the "Gentlemen prefer..." theory!
Sherman, forgive my ignorance — please expand..?

Back