Fourth EU Directive query

FrCrilly

Hi All,

This is a query for someone with in depth knowledge of motor insurance legislation. It’s information will however be of use to a Joe Soap motorist.

In simple terms, under the 4th EU Directive, an insured EU motorist is entitled to cross any border within the EU and will automatically be covered (by his/her insurer) to the minimum legal insurance cover required in that country, with no obligation to notify his/her insurer.

Can anyone tell me if the same would apply if you’re driving someone else’s car on your driving of other cars extension. (ie I take your car with your permission and drive it around the EU on my DOC extenstion. Am I covered?)

If you know what exact wording in the directive covers this, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

As far as I am aware, that is up to the companies discretion.

From pulling out a few policy booklets all seem to have driving other cars but specifically exlude use of a private car outside the republic of ireland.

Use of your car outside of ROI is restricted to the minimum cover required by that country (in Ireland it's TPO) restricted to EU countries. You can request comp cover at an additional premium.

Sorry, just noticed the part looking for exact wording.

Example i have at the moment is

Driving other cars, what is covered
- If your certificate of Insurance says so, we will insure you to drive any Private car that you do not own and have not hired under a hire opurchase or leasing agreement

Driving other cars, what is not covered
- driving without owners permission etc
- Use of a Private Car outside the Republic of Ireland

Then the EU section states

- we will provide the minimum insurance necessary to allow you to use the insured vehicle in any country which is a member of the EU and in any other country which has made arrangements to meeting the minimum insurance needed in the EU

What is not covered
- cover which is more than the legal minimum that applies to the country concerned

So, there you go. Thats specifically from one policy booklet but each company pretty much states the same thing.

My thinking of it would be akin to a warranty - the insurer could not avoid a claim, even though it specifically states that the vehicle cannot be used outside of the ROI under the DOC extention.

My thinking of it would be akin to a warranty - the insurer could not avoid a claim, even though it specifically states that the vehicle cannot be used outside of the ROI under the DOC extention.

Thanks for all responses.

My thinking is the same. At the end of the day, insurance legislation is designed to protect the innocent TP from not being compensated, regardless of what the insurer states in it’s policy booklet.