foundations

homer3-7

Hi all I have been advised by one of the guys that I priced to do the groundwork and foundations to get labour prices only as that is where they make the bulk of their money he said just get a price for labour and source where you want to get the materials from and that whoever is doing it should organise materials being delivered to the site.

My only problem is exactly what do I need for the foundations and groundwork?

Could anyone out there help me out with this and send me a list or post up a list of what type of materials I need please?

The most important material going in to your foundation is the steel. Have your engineer draw up a foundation plan which you can hand to any steel supplier and they will make up what you need.
Find a couple of local concrete and stone suppliers and get the best price you can for the various kinds of stone you need plus price per m for the concrete. Set up an account with one of them and your guys doing the groundworks just order stone and concrete as and when needed.
For everything else i.e. radon barrier, hockey sticks... your ground works/foundations guys will give you a list a couple of days before they are needed and you just price around and local hardware supply shop delivers.
Labour only at this stage is very simple as long as the people you hire communicate with you. If they do not know what materials they need before they start then they cannot read a plan and should not be there.

listen homer mate,save youself alot of grief and get a proper groundworks company or builder too do your foundations,they will have a proper engineer to sign off and you will have some come back.dont take a chance on something as important as this.

Hi all I have been advised by one of the guys that I priced to do the groundwork and foundations to get labour prices only as that is where they make the bulk of their money he said just get a price for labour and source where you want to get the materials from and that whoever is doing it should organise materials being delivered to the site.

My only problem is exactly what do I need for the foundations and groundwork?

Could anyone out there help me out with this and send me a list or post up a list of what type of materials I need please?

Retain an engineer to undertake a site investigation and design your foundations.
Use a building professional to design your ground floor slab, threshold and rising wall details.
Use competent, experienced people to build up to floor slab stage - get the foundations right and you're on your way.

Become aware of your responsibilities under the Health and Safety legislation and the Building Regulations, particularly Parts F and L.

You have to wonder, in a country where the nutty professor of Green wants all building to be Carbon Zero by 2013, just how long amateurs will be let build houses, the buildings which waste most energy.

ONQ.

Back