Foundations Quote?

dj01

Will be starting a new build soon, and getting costs in from trades as going direct labour.
It's a dormer, and the footprint of the house is 1,900 sq ft. It will be a strip foundation.
Got a quote of €26k for materials and labour (excluding any excavation which will be done seperately). Can anyone who has built a house recently by direct labour give me an idea as to how that compares?

Thanks,
dj01

Sound about right for a contractor, as a lot of them charge about €13 a sq foot, = €24,700. Its in that ball park. Thats what we paid last May 06 in wexford area. Obviously doing it yourself would be cheaper, but would be a big enough job.

Secman

Thats awful. The foot print of my house is about 1850 sq ft.

For the following:
1. Open an entrance
2. Clear the site
3. Stand up the profiles
4. Excavate the strip
5. Pour foundations
5. Once rising walls are complete, fill, insulate, install radon,dpc membrane.
6. Pour floor slab
7. Return on house completion to pour paths

13K for materials + labour.

I'm still hoping to do a little better. I've no link to this guy apart from the fact that my brother in law once worked for him.

You're being quoted 26K for the concrete, steel and the labour? I feel thats shocking.

Depends obviously on your site conditions as well...........I had a sloping site which required alot of cutting and filling...I've my own 13T track machine and this is what it basically cost me to finished floor level doing the work myself with the help here and there from a few buddies - footprint of the house is 3000ft2

stone to site €1600
mesh to footings €800
concrete to footings €4400
blocks + blocklayer for deadwork €4000
plant hire (dumpers etc) €2000
stone/blinding to infill for deadwork €1800
radon barrier €1300
insulation to floor base €1600
plumbing €1500 (not underfloor heating)
concrete for floor €3250
misc. €1000

Total - €23,250

Hope this gives you an idea of what's involved

My advice would be to get a quote for labour only and cover the materials yourself. That way then there is no benefit for the contractor to scrimp on steel or anything else.