Found sum of irish money, where to exchange

murphaph

Am I right in thinking I have to go to Dame St to change a sum of irish money to Euro or are banks still doing it? It's all notes FWIW.

Wouldn't have thought it was advisable to send cash by post, even if registered - if lost do you get the full value back, plus postage paid or a % of it?

Sending money?
    • We recommend that you avoid sending money by post. An Post offers a range of services to transfer money.
    • If you have to send money by post, you should use a Registered Post envelope available at local Post Office for a fee of €5.00 which covers postage upto 100g within Ireland.
When registering an item ensure to declare its replacement value as compensation rates are related to the declared value and registration fee paid. Where no value is declared a maximum of €25.39 is payable.

Sounds like they don't pay out the full value if lost?

Yes, but the term 'compensation rates are related to the declared value and registration fee paid' suggests to me that it isn't simply the addition of the 2 figures.

I don't really understand your point. But the An Post page does seem a bit vague too.

Just saying that it isn't clear to me that if I claimed that they would give me the entire value plus postage. As you say, the page is vague and suggests to me that they may pay a % e.g. 50% or 75%, but not necessarially 100% of the loss.

sell your notes on ebay or get a friend to do it if you dont know how, you are bound to get more there than from the bank. old irish notes are sought after in good condition.

sell your notes on ebay or get a friend to do it if you dont know how, you are bound to get more there than from the bank. old irish notes are sought after in good condition.

With the amount of old irish notes still in circulation - I find this hard to believe! Central Bank rates are at orginal punt/euro conversion rate and no charges.

Back