Found a phone - what to do?

Sambo

Howdi,

Found a phone (powered-off) tried to return it via O2, absolutely no help told me to "do what you want" with the phone, would give me no information about the owner or where to send it. I now have a brand new Nokia 6320i/6230i (whatever) that is security locked. Has anyone any suggestion as to what to do?

Thx

S

Re: Unlocking a security code

Hand it in to the closest Garda station to where you found it.

Re: Unlocking a security code

Put a free lost and found ad in one or more newspapers. Maybe I'm too cynical or untrusting but I would be reluctant to hand over sums of money or other small valuables to the Gardaí. Whever this has happened to me I have always held onto them and bar one occassion (a sum of money found on holiday in Dubrovnik) managed to repatriate them with their rightful owners (three mobile phones and IR£120 in cash, all found in the streets of Dublin).

My friend lost his phone that was turned off but the finder took his sim out of his own phone - put it in the found phone - and could access some contacts/texts that were on the phone and then phoned one of them - (Me), to see if i knew anything about it. I had never thought of doing that - Normally when I have found them I have been able to open the phone and look up Home or something equivalent in the address book.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunatly I cannot input a pin even using my sim card as it is security locked. Regarding the suggestion of handing into the Garda, I would rather hand it to one of the phone shops where they send the phones to Africa as a charity service.

[SIZE=-1]Have you tried the default security code 12345 for the Nokia [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]6230i[/SIZE]

Sol28 said:
My friend lost his phone that was turned off but the finder took his sim out of his own phone - put it in the found phone - and could access some contacts/texts that were on the phone and then phoned one of them - (Me), to see if i knew anything about it. I had never thought of doing that - Normally when I have found them I have been able to open the phone and look up Home or something equivalent in the address book.
Is it the sim card or the phone with the pin, as if its the sim card you may be able to get info from the phone, and visa versa if the sim is blocked. With regard to leaving items in garda station I would let them know you have it but not leave it there. Just personal opinion.

Sambo said:
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunatly I cannot input a pin even using my sim card as it is security locked. Regarding the suggestion of handing into the Garda, I would rather hand it to one of the phone shops where they send the phones to Africa as a charity service.

This charity invloves selling the second hand phones for a profit. Unless this money is going to a charity (ie unless you gave your phone to a charity), the money is unlikely to be going to anyone other than a very happy businessman.

Similar things are happeningwith clothes being donated to be worn in the third world, the clothes are sold and the middleman pockets the cash (this is ok if the middleman is a charity like Enable Ireland)

Are you saying that the likes of Oxfam are scamming people with their mobile phone collection appeals?

Sambo said:
I would rather hand it to one of the phone shops where they send the phones to Africa as a charity service.

They send phones to Africa? What good does that honestly do?

There are many areas of the third world with no landline infrastructure. Mobile infrastructure is faster and cheaper to install and so has become the default infrastructure. I don't honestly know what rates cellphone companies charge third world customers but I have heard that mobile phones are pretty prized items where such infrastructure exists.

extopia said:
There are many areas of the third world with no landline infrastructure. Mobile infrastructure is faster and cheaper to install and so has become the default infrastructure. I don't honestly know what rates cellphone companies charge third world customers but I have heard that mobile phones are pretty prized items where such infrastructure exists.
But how does this benefit those who are really in need of aid, as opposed to cash donation? I take your point about infrastructure etc. Anyway, this is really for another thread.

It can't be compared to a cash donation, but it is a good way of recycling mobile phones as people in the African deserts are not too worried about how fashionable their phones are. It extends the life of perfectly good products that we dispose of here.

I think the recycling of mobile phones has more to to with extracting Tantalum(ColTan), which is quite valuable.

Hi Lucy cant see that working on a 2006 phone . The thread is 7 years old . Thanks for the app though

Back