Formula 1

casperjack

Hi

Just wondered if anyone has gone to a formula 1 race before? If so did they find any cheap way of doing it. Boyfriend is into it in a big way and we have looked at some package deals but they are very expensive.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Casperjack

I would imagine that booking flights and accommodation seperately would be cheaper if you go to the likes of Silverstone ( ok it's not exactly Monaco )- it's only about an hour from Heathrow and less from Luton AFAIK. A quick look at [broken link removed]

shows any number of flights available around the weekend of the 11/06/06 for very reasonable money. I'm sure if you check up on accommodation away from the immediate event you will see bargains too.

I've been to Silvestone (3 times), Barcelona (day trip!), San Marino, Belgium and yes, it's very expensive! Silverstone's probably the cheapest as you can get a good view without having to buy stand tickets. Book accomodation in a Northampton B&B (the prices are jacked up so do it as early as possible) and get to the track on the local bus which avoids the endless queues by taking the back roads. It's only a 10/15 minute walk from Silverstone village and your heart-rate visibly increases as you get closer and hear the engines screaming.

I'm getting excited just thinking about it - roll on March!!

Sarah

www.rea.ie

Very expensive, and you don't see a whole lot of the race . . but if you're in to F1 it's worth going to one, to get a real feel for it, the noise is incredible. I'd say go to the British F1 Grand Prix and get a pocket TV so you can follow the race elsewhere on the track (assuming it's still on ITV).

if you go to www.justtickets.co.uk you can get tickets for most grand prix at a little more than the official price. and make your own travel arrangements.

Bought tickets for Canadian Grand Prix from official website a few years ago. 3 days $46 Canadian per person. It is right in the centre of Montreal so you can get the underground to it. Hotels in Montreal cheap enough but flights may be a problem.

We went to Monaco in 2001. We stayed in Nice and went to the practice/race. To be honest you saw more at the practice than the race ... the cars whizz past so fast. There are huge screens so you can see what's happening. You can walk the circuit after the race and the atmosphere is fantastic you get really close to the cars in the pit lane (admitedly while they are packing them up). Mr. HP got to meet a few of the boys ... David Coultard and Eddie Jordan. We also saw some of the others about the town the day before the race. When the race was over there was nothing left in Monaco ... definately not somewhere to spend your holidays. The train service from Nice is fast and regular. Parking is non existant and prices are crazy. Thinking about going to the Hungararing ... some day.

We went to the Melbourne GP a couple pf years back while there on holidays - absolutely fantastic ! (even though it bucketed rain for the whole day)

would recommend tryign to organise other holidays around the trip and make it part of them - it just cost us AU$ 75 each and had great view of the race and better yet the crashes !