Formatting a hard drive - permanently

..and me.

Watch the BBC vid half way down.
"This is the clean room at OnTrack" he says as he and the other bloke are there in their civvies with the door open! That's not a clean room. Probably made by the Horizon team who churn out all that other inaccurate/pseudo-scuence rubbish...

I also agree that running drive wiping software (assuming it is any good) is fine for most purposes.

I was just pointing out in my earlier post that given enough time and energy almost anything digital can be recovered (even after most drive wiping software has been run) because of the nature of the media. The only sure way to destroy the data is to physically disassemble the media and damage it in such a way that it cannot be physically reassembled. But if you are going to that level of trouble then chances are that you have backups somewhere which are a lot easier to compromise than the disk is to reassemble.

z

I was just pointing out in my earlier post that given enough time and energy almost anything digital can be recovered (even after most drive wiping software has been run) because of the nature of the media.
I don't disagree with that. But in most cases the time and energy that those with nefarious intent would spend on recovering data from Jo Bloggs' securely erased hard disk is surely quite limited.