Foreign Registered Cars in the state.

mc-BigE

I noticed a lot of LT and PO and to a smaller degree UK registered cars around were I live at present, some have been in Ireland for more than a year now and I’mConcerned that SOME of these cars do not have to go through the same NCT test that Irish registered cars have to by law.

I was behind a late 1980’s Merc 190e with LT number plate last week on a dual carriageway and the rear drivers wheel has vibrating so much that I thought it was going to fall off. And when we stopped at a set of traffic lights I noticed that 1 brake light wasn’t working and that his rear tyre thread was close to bald.

Please don’t take this thread the wrong way, I think that modern Ireland needs more people to sustain its economic growth and in turn those same people can prosper and integrate into the society, but that should also include foreign registered vehicles in the state for more then 1 year.

A solution would be when the car enters the country it has to go through an NCT at the Ferry port or if that is not possible maybe book the car for an NCT there and then for a future date.

i agree totally.the question is are these drivers actually insured!!!!!!

They are. EU insurance from a member state covers you in all 25 states. If they are insured in their home country they have the min level of third party insurnace required in Ireland.

my point is "are they actually insured"? i know 2 different people who had accidents with non-residents and they had no insurance.........now these people are claiming for injury!

I agree with mc-BigE's point. The NCT took the vast majority of the junk cars off the roads. In my opinion there are a greater number of unroadworthy cars on the roads with the immigration of cars into the country. All cars on Irish roads should be to 'NCT' standards.

I don't see how it could be enforced though. It would be unfeasible to have a test centre at a ferry port and any booking made at the point of entry could be evaded if the owner claimed they were merely here for a visit.

Insurance and tax are the main problem. Apparently the Gardai have no power to seize foreign registered cars at the moment so they can be driven around at will.

[broken link removed]

bond-007 said:
They are. EU insurance from a member state covers you in all 25 states. If they are insured in their home country they have the min level of third party insurnace required in Ireland.
I know a few spanish people here driving Spanish cars. They are insured, but they have to prove that they are on hols, if they are living here, as far as I know it, you are not cover!! Now, how the insurance companies prove if they are living here or just passing by, i don't know, but that's what I've been told. I drive, but I prefered to buy an irish car, paying more than I would have paid back home, but having peace of mind.
Foreign cars have been around for a long time now, but I reckon since the new countries joined, you can see more Polish and Lituanians than any other countries.

My understanding was, you are allowed drive fully covered for a period of 30 days in another EU state. AFter that you have to look for local insurance cover or let that your insurance company know.

What if you bring over a British registered car and leave it here for holiday use. When it is due for the MOT, it is driven to England and MOT'd, taxed and insured ,and left here again for holiday use. How about that for a scenario.

Not too sure what you mean by holiday use. If you mean for holiday use as in holidays in the the summer, what would be the point?
If you mean 'holiday use' as in long term holiday, this would be illegal. No Irish citizen resident in Ireland can drive a foreign based car even for a single day - that is why when they are say making a film with a UK imported car, they must bring the driver over as well.

even if they had insurance in an east european eu country I wouldnt fancy my chances of making a successful claim against their insurance policy. better claiming against the uninsured bureau.

I was hit a few years ago by a Dutch truck and was forced to go through the Visiting Motorists Bureau. I couldn't claim from the dutch insurer, though this may have changed in the last few years.

Back