Foreign Exchange Overcharging Error

dfg75

My local bank recently overcharged me on a foreign exchange transfer. Not only did they change the agreed rate from what was written on the exchange form by their employee, they also changed the cost of the exchange from 51 cent to 31.99 EUR. Overall this mistake cost me nearly $300. What recourse do I have?

I have emailed and posted the bank manager and assistant manager (since this is the second foreign transfer that they have made an error) a letter explaining the overcharge. My letter was emailed ten days ago and I still have had no response.

Any thoughts of what I should do next?

Well, if they overcharged you, you have the right to be refunded.

If you don't want to call to the bank in person, you may wish to consider sending a letter by registered post setting out your complaint, what you want to happen next, and when you want it to happen.

The next step, if they fail to acknowledge you, or resolve the issue to your satisfaction is to complain to the [broken link removed].

Keep in mind that banks would have been closed quite a bit over the past while, but thy should be back to normal now.

Back