Foreign census contractor

Re: Foreign cenus contractor

I presume you never shop in Aldi/Lidl/Tesco/M&S/Debenhams - right?

Yes I do, They hire people who live in Ireland so in turn generate money for the local area. They would also use Irish haulage etc etc.

Yes I do, They hire people who live in Ireland so in turn generate money for the local area. They would also use Irish haulage etc etc.

So you are sure that none of the census team are living here? Are they commuting from the UK?

So you are sure that none of the census team are living here? Are they commuting from the UK?

Very sure, most of the lads that I have been stopped by, I have been stopped six times now, are scottish. All the vans and cars have british registrations.

I understand that everything is not black and white, but a lot of threads that have appeared here are people looking for advice on dole or that they have been let go. Every week the dole Q gets longer, we hear it every night on the news. It is in the states best interest to keep as much public money in the state if they can, I don't know if it was possible in this case.

I would like to think that my goverment will keep jobs within the state wherever they can, it doesn't matter to me if the jobs are held by Irish or non Irish Citizens only that they(the workers) reside in the state and spend their money here on local services etc. This country is in for a rough ride and it is scary how this recession is gathering pace.

Very sure, most of the lads that I have been stopped by, I have been stopped six times now, are scottish. All the vans and cars have british registrations.
I'm still unclear as to what is happening here. Are they commuting daily in their British vans?

I'm still unclear as to what is happening here. Are they commuting daily in their British vans?

Your still unclear? are you serious? yeah they drive back to Scotland in their British vans every day and then drive back to Ireland. I think they also carry gerry cans with British fuel and they bring a packed British lunch evey day.

You completely missed my point.

I'm struggling to see if there is a point here. You have a problem with Scottish/English census takers who are living in Ireland for the duration of their contract, but you've no problem with German supermarkets staffed by eastern european staff who repatriate every possible euro back home?

I can't see any consistency or principle in this position.

German supermarkets staffed by eastern european staff who repatriate every possible euro back home?

I can't see any consistency or principle in this position.

May I ask on what you base that opinion on?

The contractors staff will stay here for a few weeks, their food and accomadation will be paid for and they will spend money here, a small percentage of the overall contract. They will avail of minimum services.

However the "eastern european staff who repatriate every possible euro back home" will pay rent over the long term, pay tax, visit and pay a doctor if they are sick, shop for food/clothes, the list goes on, and even some of them, I hear buy houses.

Did you do a census on the census takers? You seem to know an awful lot about their set up and their lifestyle? Let's face it - neither of us can speak with certainty about the lifetyles and spending hapits of the census staff or the Lidl staff. We're just speculating.

However, you seem to want to base Govt policy on this speculation.

I'd suggest you do a fair bit of research before you go down the road of restricting Govt spend to Irish companies. One obvious side-effect of this policy would be that other govts will restrict their spending to their native companies, and will not be buying from Irish-based exporters, such as Intel/Microsoft/IBM/HP and all the pharmaceutical exporters. Are you really sure you want to cut off your nose to spite your face?

Brilliant atleast now you understand my original point. I know a lot about the census takers because I talked to them.

Earlier posts such as "protectionism" and "I don't think you understand the EU" made me realise that my thinkng may be flawed and too localised.

I also didn't mean to suggest we stop trading . Only that in hard times we should favour our own wherever possible. I would be interested to know If any EU member state restricts out sourcing contracts in hard times.

As always I don't claim to be right. People are losing jobs like never before , unless you are in the public sector then you can sit back and observe the recession unfold. For people like me and people I know, the last thing we want is to let staff go. I am confident I can weather the storm but I think a lot people won't be so lucky.