Ford Ranger - Good, Bad, Ugly?

R

Retail Mngr

Evening all,

We're looking for a single cab pick-up.
Mainly as a second car and every so often hauling a ton bag of gravel and the like.
Have no interest in making a statment by driving a sparklingly clean huge 4x4 just because we can.
Looking for somthing functional, dependable, that will tow well, take a decent load and will not cost the earth.

Have done some basic research and pick ups seems to breakdown like this....(apologies to any owners who I insult)

Those that are for looking good in and those that are for using as pick-ups.

Navara & L200 - the nuts but pitcheed more for looking good that for working hard
Hilux - tough tough and more tough. Meant to be used.
Ranger - The lada of pick-ups. Does the job, economically priced but basic.

People I have talked to all say not to touch the Ranger but can't give a definite reason. They "have just heard"

Does anyone have any first hand experience of the ranger?

I dont care about looking good just want a functional pick up that is reliable and doesn't cost the earth.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

P

The only thing I have to say is they are all gass guzzlers and I've have experience of two of the above, they do about half the milage of our vans

Vans will be more economical that a pick up. There not ment for driving on the roads most of there lives, there for pulling and working hard and when you go out after a week they will still start, run rich so they don't cut out while pulling.

Had a '04 Navara crew cab, not a bad yoke, used the most fuel, didn't like it, had a few probs with it, never did what I wanted.

Had an '98 hilux single cab, best one ever. Pulled the heart out of it and she still wanted more.

When I got rid of the Navara, I got a '05 Hilux (last of the old shape) great again, well up for work.

Had a ford ranger for a while as well, bit softer that the Hilux, only ever pulled a horse box with that, but I'd take it over a Navara.

Never had an L200, but it is a Mitz, so it can't be that bad.