Ford Focus shocks & springs

r0nn13

Hi,

How many ,000 miles should shocks and springs last on a MK1 Ford Focus?

My car is now at 75k and I bought it at 28k and the suspension seems to be getting softer. I regularly keep my tyres just above the recommened PSI as I do a lot of motorway driving...

How much would it cost to change all the shocks or all the springs if necessary?

It's not cheap. When you say "seems to be getting softer" what do you mean exactly?

I wouldn't expect all around suspension unit failure at that kind of mileage.

It is a Zetec model and the suspension was a lot stiffer about 20k miles ago. It seems to roll more around corners and not soaking up bumps as good as it used too.

When I drive over humps it feels really soft and I am not racing over humps either...

It almost feels the same as having really soft tyres is the best way I can describe it...

I did 110k miles fron new in a 02 Focus over mostly crap country roads and never had a problem with the shocks and springs (unlike in my S40). I did need a new ignition coil, clutch and 2 x cat convertors in that time though!

in fairness to focus ive very rairly changed shocks even cars with 120k on them,them seem to take a gr8 hammering the only thing that go are anti roll bar links ,and have never replaced springs ,and we do at least 20/30 focus a week, they are bullet proof

I have just had my Clutch replaced, so i will look into the anti roll bar links on the car. Not sure if I could even see if they are faulty myself though...

Thanks for the feedback, and my Focus hasbeen pretty much bullet-proof, so if i change i think i would just get a younger model...

when the anti roll bar bushes are goin you will hear them rattling from the front,what type of tyres have you got on the car? agood set of tyres and right tyres pressures can make the car feel totally different

i have the tyres all set just above the 32psi due to my motorway driving. It is great on the motorway... I have Continetal tyres on too, which are also great.

There is a random knock coming from the back of the car though, but never heard any from the front...

Hi
This all sounds very familiar to me. I have a 00 Focus Ghia and the brake discs went recently. I had to get new pads, discs and anti roll brushes but now there is a rattle from the back of the car aswell, similar to what rOnn13 describes. Also when i turn right slowly there is a slight groan/grinding from the back left corner of the car.

Gonna get someone else to check all this out cos i dont trust the last guy who 'fixed' it. He serviced it a week before the discs, pads etc needed replacing but never noticed any of this during the service. he said it was very difficult to notice that the discs were worn down cos it was only worn down on the inside. That sounds crazy to me (although ill admit i know very little about cars)
Surely the discs ONLY wear down on the inside? Id love to know if this guy took me for a ride cos ill be back to him to give him abuse...!

Hey there,

I was just pulling out of a Ford garage today... just dropping someone off, when I felt something pop against my foot. I looked and it was the spring of the clutch. I was told that this would cost at lease €250 to get fixed. Anyone now if i could get this done cheaper

I've also got a 00 Ghia, and in the last month I've had to get new brake pads and disks (from Ariside Ford, can't remember the exact price, but around €250 I think, got them done when getting a service), and had to get the rear shocks replaced (had a rattle coming from the back and the car didn't like bumps or humps anymore) which I got replaced in Advanced Pitstop in Swords for around €180. Airside Ford were quoting me a lot more for that, they were quoting around €240. Still, getting the disks and pads from Airside Ford worked out cheaper than what Advanced Pitstop were quoting, so it pays to shop around.

Does anyone know where I can get a ford focus coil pack from in North Dublin or Leinster?

Obviously I will be changing the sparks too, but does this coil pack come with replacement leads and spark plugs?

I have read how to replace this and it seems handy so I will save the labour and do it myself...