Ford Focus -Diesel Low Emssions or Petrol

Newbie!

We are currently in the market for an 09/10 ford focus. Our gut instinct was to go for a 1.6 diesel but this was mainly driven by the low tax associated.
Given that we will be spending approx. 16k on the car, this seems a little mad now.

Has anyone any comparison/knowledge between the petrol and diesel focus?

Have driven both the 1.4 petrol and the 1.6, also have driven the 2 diesels 1.6 in focus and 1.8 in the mondeo. All Fords are pretty good cars but Diesel wins hands down on economy torgue and driving comfort.
Currently driving a 1.6 tdci titanium salloon. Super car 54mpg average and that's not exactly trying to spare the fuel, the car is just very efficient and is a superb car on the road and very well finished and specd out.

Extremly reliable over the years also, don't think I would consider a petrol again unless it was more for a performance type car and money/economy was not an issue.

If your annual mileage is low the extra cost associated with a diesel purchase mightn't be worth it.

More torque and nicer to drive though.

If your annual mileage is low the extra cost associated with a diesel purchase mightn't be worth it.

I'm in a similar position to the OP. On face value there is little difference in purchase price, the road tax on the diesel is cheaper and it is more economical.

Are there other hidden costs with a diesel, e.g. higher servicing costs, that I am missing?

I drive about 15000km per year.

Personally a big fan of the diesel, but just on your numbers there, there is no way you should need to spend 16k on an 09/10 Focus. New Focus cars are on offer for little more than this. You should be able to pick up an 09 for around the 14K mark easily. And if you look North of to the UK you should be able to get a diesel for the same price (or even less) as a petrol here - and with a better spec.

Also a big fan of diesel cars here, 1.6 diesel in the focus has good economy if you look around should be able to pick one up cheaper than 16K