ford focus 2 issues, gears + indicator

SidTheDweeb

my sister is driving a ford focus.

i was driving it the other day and noted two issues

1. Accurately described as
"What's wrong with my ford focus gear stick,it feels like a spring has broken? it's really loose in neutral so I have difficulty selecting 3rd from 2nd because it's not in it's natural position. Is it expensive or difficult to repair? Thanks"
on http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071106160445AAtamOF
Basically gear stick is loose and sitting slackly to the left.
She drives fine with it and is used to it.

2. indicator naturally turning off - it doesn't. She got this electrical thing fixed before - she doesn't remember the details.

Question is: how much should one expect to set this right. More importantly with issue one - is it serious?

Any help greatly appreciated

the gear lever spring is a doddle to do, the spring is only small money just a little bit fiddly,as for the indicators it is either the swictch or most likely the air bag clock spring which is in behind the steering wheel ,which can be done by a diy er but not recommened as the clock spring splits real easily

the gear lever spring is a doddle to do, the spring is only small money just a little bit fiddly,as for the indicators it is either the swictch or most likely the air bag clock spring which is in behind the steering wheel ,which can be done by a diy er but not recommened as the clock spring splits real easily

thanks for the response fordjedi.

Any idea of ballpark cost?

The gear spring is something you could fix yourself, get the part and remove console that houses the gear stick ,you will see aspring there. ,simply replace this.

Back