Ford Focus 05 -Baffling Headlight issue

Sch3cter

Hi Guys,

Just to pick your brains on this because I am stumped!! I've a 05 Ford Focus. Everytime I put a new bulb (H7) in the headlight on the left, after a couple of hours the top of the bulb blows up like ballon.... as in it swells and then the light is dead.
I put a new buld in last night, this morning when I get into work the buld is swollen and it's blown again. I've used 3 bulbs in the last week!!! Any ideas? The one right is perfect as is all other lights on the car, it's just the one on the left that's being a pain.

Thanks
Sch3cter

Chances are that you are touching the glass when replacing the bulb - the oils on your skin can cause the bulb to blow the same day. Have a look at this website or google to find out more (as I'm no mechanic - I found this out the hard way for myself!). On a side note, I have a Focus as well and from what I have gathered over the years the Focus seems especially hard on bulbs compared to other cars - no idea why.

Thanks a million!! I was being so so careful last night not to touch the glass. I've a spare in the boot so I'll change it later but use a cloth and see if that works :)

Make doubly sure the connections in the headlight are really tight especially the earth wire,usually brown.

Also on the Focus is relatively easy not to snap the unit back into place completely, which may mean the bulb is nearer something than it should be.

Back