Forced into resigning due to inflexibility over childcare. Entitlements from welfare?

I could be wrong but i see those issues you pointed out as the employers problem not the employees

Your right, you're completely wrong.

If employee needs to leave 10 mins early each day for whatever reason then the employer simply should accommodate this

You would have to see this written sentence to believe you actually said it.

they cant be that dependent on 1 person,

You really have be cocooning in your career. Now I could be wrong, but, do you or did you, work in the Private sector? Because, thats the sort on nonsense you may expect in the Public Sector.

It depends on the business I suppose. For me, a good boss or employer would grant this kind of flexibility where possible.its in the employers interest to keep employee happy.

Thanks for all the replies. Still no further along but it's a family run business so no further to go, no HR. It's not even been mentioned again and they simply believe my problem has gone away. Although, they did tell to "push the creche" to see if they would wait on for me!
It's quite possible for me to go as the business remains open until six anyway without me there.
What is bothering me is we are all making sacrifices and being flexible in these unprecedented times and there should be a bit of give. Especially as they are getting help in the form of the wage subsidy scheme so in actual fact the government are paying the bulk of my wages at present!
I have spoken to Citizens Advice and a local TD who is going to raise the issue of solidarity with employees and flexibility around working hours with Leo Varadkar.
Have applied for several jobs so fingers crossed I get sorted soon as I have a brother off work this week who is helping out but next week I don't know what I'll do!

I have spoken to Citizens Advice and a local TD who is going to raise the issue of solidarity with employees and flexibility around working hours with Leo Varadkar.

Hope you get sorted but I'm not sure that a TD, let alone the Tánaiste(!), is the best person to seek assistance from.

A solicitor with experience in employment law is a better bet, if you feel you need external help.

Without giving too much away, what do you do?

e.g. do you man reception? Are you office based? Do you work in retail?

Do you know any parents in the Creche? Someone might take your children to their house if they lived nearby. There is a recession here / coming. I would not recommend moving jobs.

Interesting conflict of views here.

Have you thought through what issues your leaving early might cause your employer, and how you or they might address these.

Interesting conflict of views here.

Have you thought through what issues your leaving early might cause your employer, and how you or they might address these.

You can see from OP's post that she has, and that there is nothing to address

It seems very odd to me that the crèche has brought its closing time forward to 5.30pm - that's going to be challenging for a lot of working parents.

I really don't see any point in consulting a solicitor - all the employer has done so far is to insist that the OP works her contracted hours.

Also, the employer may be concerned that offering flexibility to one employee may cause issues with other employees -

"It's not fair that @Muns11 gets to go home 10 minutes early every day!"

OP has said that if the place of employment is open until 6pm, so even when they leave at 5:30pm (the usual time), some one else is still on the premises from 5:30-6pm.

Many child care places have changed hours, this isn't the first one I've heard of; and yes it's a challenge, as the last 6 months have been for all parents of young children.

Again OP - tell your employer what you are doing and do it. No need for long explanations or permission. You're an adult and can be expected to do your job in a responsible fashion.

OP has said that if the place of employment is open until 6pm, so even when they leave at 5:30pm (the usual time), some one else is still on the premises from 5:30-6pm.
That is a childish level of analysis of the situation, nearly everyone works with some one else on the premises, unless the OP works alone there is likely to someone else on the premises all day. That doesnt mean they could or should do the OPS job. The issue is does the job need to be done up until closing time, that question has not been addressed.

Hope you get sorted but I'm not sure that a TD, let alone the Tánaiste(!), is the best person to seek assistance from.

A solicitor with experience in employment law is a better bet, if you feel you need external help.
The TD / tanaiste is free. Well I suppose they are.

It depends on the business I suppose. For me, a good boss or employer would grant this kind of flexibility where possible.its in the employers interest to keep employee happy.

'where possible' . That's important here. There seems to be an assumption from a lot of posters that it is 'possible'.

The OP has told us it's a family business.

That's enough for me.

OP - if you are on the Wage Subsidy Scheme I suggest that you contact your Employability/DEASP contact who set that up for you. Each branch has a number of advisors, at least one, possibly not the one you dealt with directly, has good expertise around persuading employers to offer flexibility to you. If you do not get on with your nominated advisor, ask to speak to the manager of the Employer/DEASP branch (you do not have to give a reason in making the request), and then explain the situation. Employers are generally quite afeared of the DEASP so a contact back to them by this route is likely to be listened to.

It seems very odd to me that the crèche has brought its closing time forward to 5.30pm - that's going to be challenging for a lot of working parents.

I really don't see any point in consulting a solicitor - all the employer has done so far is to insist that the OP works her contracted hours.

Also, the employer may be concerned that offering flexibility to one employee may cause issues with other employees -

"It's not fair that @Muns11 gets to go home 10 minutes early every day!"

That's happening in a lot of places. In my own case, I'm trying to be as flexible as I can but I have 1 or 2 people who have genuine underlying medical conditions that they don't want to jeopardise themselves but are working from home and being productive. I know the issue but obviously cannot tell their colleagues who for various reasons I need in the building and they don't want to share their medical conditions with some others in the office so overall it is causing me some angst but it is far less hassle then making someone seriously ill. As a people manager, the one thing I can say for certain is that I can't win with some people

It seems very unreasonable but while you are looking for another job could you suggest to your employer that you are prepared to take the time upaid as you cannot leave your children on the street and maybe he will relent.

Back