food :What is there left to eat(besides fresh fruit and veg)?

dollyclare

If one should not eat-precooked,fried,tinned,prepackaged,processed and additive riddled food.What is there left to eat(besides fresh fruit and veg)?

Re: food

Well chances are the fresh fruit and veg are sprayed with pesticides....theres floride in the water....looks like its just fresh air then;) (though thats polluted too)... I think we have just struck on a revolutionary new diet!!!

Precooked/prepared food is not necessarily bad. It really depends on the nutritional breakdown (e.g. fat/saturated fat, calories, salt etc. content). Not all additives are bad. For example, "E numbers" are often incorrectly painted as "bad" by many people. Levels of pesticides in fruit/vegetables must meet strict low levels for them to be allowed on the market. I don't understand the motivation for the original post. Perhaps a bit more information including a reference to whatever sparked off this concern might clarify matters and be conducive to a rational discussion of the matter?

I am constantly watching programs on television about health eating and think to myself "yeah freshly prepared food would be 100 times better than prepacked"..The problem is that when I actually sit down and try to come up with an interesting meal I draw a blank.....Can anyone suggest a cookery book that is packed full of health options ???...One preferable that does not require me to visit 10 different shops to get different ingredients

Any bookshop that I've been in lately seems to stock hundreds of cookery books of all shapes, sizes, styles etc. Surely there must be at least one that suits you? :confused:

Here is a suggestion for a cookbook

Real fast Food by Nigel Slater. Lots of quick recipes, easy to cook and very
tasty using fresh ingredients.
He also has good advice on what to have in your cupboard so that you can
make meals at short notice.

Cooking a a habit and a good one. If you make the effort, you should find
that you quickly discover 4 or 5 recipes that you can make and like eating.
Also, your bills will go down, compared to prepared food.

Can anyone suggest a cookery book that is packed full of health options ???...One preferable that does not require me to visit 10 different shops to get different ingredients

We use Ainsley Harriotts "Meals in Minutes". We have 3 of his books and tend to use them quite a lot. Most of the recipies take 20/30 minutes to cook so perfect when you come in from work...as the last thing you feel like doing is cooking for 2 hours.

The majority of the ingredients can be found in the supermarket. There is a list of foods to keep in the cupboard and freezer. We have quite a collection of herbs and spices now too.

Does anyone know where I can buy "pak choi" ?

Kiddo said:
Does anyone know where I can buy "pak choi" ?
Have you tried any of the many Oriental/Asian food stores in Dublin and elsewhere around the country? I'm sure that they would stock it.

ZEGAR said:
.. The problem is that when I actually sit down and try to come up with an interesting meal I draw a blank .

Don't set the bar too high. Much of being able to cook is confidence. Start with something even I can handle, like baked ziti, and work out from there.

Please accept my apologies for what follows ..

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

My daughter was born with a food intolerance which meant we couldn't give her any food that might have certain ingredients in ... the gastroenterologist recommended cutting out processed food completely and cooking everything from scratch (as many processed foods do not list all of the contents). I've been doing this for the last 7 years and I'm getting better at it. It's not as hard as it seems. A few suggestions:
Do a night course in cookery.
Buy a cook book and follow the recipie ... suprisingly it works.
Pick a style of cookery you like (stir frying/roasting/stewing) and learn a few variations of each recipie.
Buy the best freshest food you can. Only buy meet from a reputable source and aim for organic where practical. (e.g. an organic chicken will probably cost you about 9 euro instead of 3.50 for the battery type but well worth the extra cost in terms of flavour)
Don't feel you have to cook everything ... salads will be more appetizing as the summer approaches.
Get better aquainted with your microwave. It's ideal for cooking things such as salmon/chicken fillets ... porridge, vegetables etc.

Good luck

thanks for all the tips,folks.I posted this q as a result of a comment a teenager made to me after reading an article about healthy eating.It just made me think and I had no real immediate answer.

Back