fogged up car windscreen

jackreacher

hi all,
quick q for the petrolheads among us. i have a 99 mondeo liftback and lately it seems very prone to fogging up ( when the car is empty ;-)). i know obviously its something to do with the cold but its starting to get right on my tits as when i jump into the car in the morning it takes a 10 mins for the heater to clear the windscreen.

any help or advice would be appreciated.

cheers

Hi there. There is a filter in those cars that needs to be changed at services and if it's not done it will fog up the window. I think it's he polin filter. Not %100 on the name of the filter but I've had the same problem myself before. Also make sure it's always fresh air coming into the car and not recirculated air.

is this something i could change myself or is it a garage job. nct is end of march so i want to have a list of any issues before i go to the garage

I had this problem too with a VW Golf .......Had to use a rubber window cleaner all the time to clear windscreen.

I agree , it was very annoying .

Check your heater settings. If somebody moved it you could be recycling internal air rather than clearing the window with fresh air.

I had this problem for ages before I figured that somebody had moved the dial.

Worth a look.

this may be a dumb question but how would i find a leak. i had a few books in the back of the car for a few weeks and i remember thinking that they fely a damp but never really thought much about it. im off allday tomorrow so il be having a look

Had exactly the same prob with my Toyota.

I left a few of those dehumidifer bags lying around the cabin and it dried out the windscreen completely over a few weeks. Great job. I always thought that my cabin felt a bit damp and even the seats have improved. Worth a few quid from the pound shop.

I have heard others say that they had this problem and found that the seal on their wondscreens had perished and moisture was getting into the cabin. Might be worth checking out.

ill have a look for the dehumidifying bags where did you pick them up btw

Bought 2 in B&Q but they can be pricey in there.

As I said Pound shops are a good bet. Check in your local ones and see if they sell anything suitable.

this may be a dumb question but how would i find a leak. i had a few books in the back of the car for a few weeks and i remember thinking that they fely a damp but never really thought much about it. im off allday tomorrow so il be having a look

Wait for a heavy shower or raining day and hunt about looking for damp spots. Often its the liner in a door, or a seal in the foot well around a cable, or blocked sunroof drain, or leak in the boot, block drain hole int he bottom of a door. etc. Usually the condensation is worst in one spot and that points the direction. Can even be a leaking heater matrix, but that usually has a funny chemical smell you'd notice. I've fixed them in the past by using a replacing a door liner with a bin liner and using silicon to seal around it.

is your pollen filter wet ? then replace it or you have a leak and its wetting the pollen filter,
your heater matrix could be gone also,
if none of above you have a leak somewhere causing the moisture to get in,

thanks all, gonna get sum dehumidifier crystals for the short term and prob gonna check air intake and seal over the weekend.

change your pollen filter. it's a really simple and cheap job and probably needs to be done anyway.

http://www.mirez.co.uk/WaterProbs.htm

that link gives you the finis code for a replacement filter. i think the mk2 that the article refers to is actually the mk1 facelift, which is your car.

let us know how you get on.:)

no problem jack. if you run into any difficulty let us know. i've tinkered around a bit on both my mondeos (a 95 and a 98) and there are a couple of brilliant mondeo websites too, if necessary.

:)

Back