Focus or Corolla - Which Automatic to go for?

bearaman

Hi All,
I'm in the market for an automatic car and I've narrowed the choice down to the following:
06 Ford Focus LX
06 Toyota Corolla

My main requirements would be reliability, fuel economy and re-sale value. Basically, I want something that's cheap to run, super-reliable and won't break me with road tax and insurance.

Any thoughts on the above two automatic options?
Thanks,
B.

Don't know specifically about the auto variants of these two but I would see it like this:

Corolla:

More reliable, (possibly) more fuel efficient.

Focus:

Better to drive, cheaper to service.

Both would hold their values to a similar extent and will be similar re insurance/tax.

As for 'super reliable', I would doubt that the Focus would fall under that category (reliable though it is) - the Corolla maybe.

The Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi comes in an automatic version, too. Basically a VW engine and gearbox — the taxi drivers love 'em.

Otherwise I'd agree with Caveat's view of the relative merits of the Focus vs Corolla.

Thanks for the replies. DrMoriarty, the Octavia sounds like a great car but I'm not looking for an engine that size. I won't be doing huge mileage, about 20 miles round trip to work and maybe the odd 2 hour journey at the weekend. Reliability is top of my requirements. I'd even consider smaller engines.
I've been scouring the web, looking at reviews of both the Corolla and Focus and they both have their merits. I'm going to test drive both this weekend so I'll make my mind up after that.
Thanks for the info.
B.

Back