Focus/Megane/Astra/Almera?

FKhan

Hi Everyone

I am thinking to buy a used car. I've got 8K to spend. I do around 1,000 miles a month.

Models in consideration are:
1. Ford Focus
2. Renault Megane
3. Opel Astra
4. Nissan Almera

Any recommendatiosn please?

Please advise any pros or cons from your experience.

I heard Ford Focus is good but it has really light body when you drive with high speed, the whole car vibrates??

Someone told me the difference between Almera & Megane is that you'll find good computer gadgets in Megane but spend a lot when it comes to any repair (for example corrupt key card etc) while Almera is very simple to look & drive it won't give you any trouble? is this true?

I heard Ford Focus is good but it has really light body when you drive with high speed, the whole car vibrates??
Only if the tracking is off or ther is some other problem with the car.

In general that's true.

Models in consideration are:
1. Ford Focus
2. Renault Megane
3. Opel Astra
4. Nissan Almera

Focus = The one to go for. Best all round. Look for a 1.6 Zetec for your 8K.

Megane = Not very reliable.

Astra = Very average car and always considered below the value you get in the Ford.

Almera = Very average car and always considered below the value you get in the Ford.

Would agree in general with Gabriel.

Maybe worth remembering that Almera is easily the most reliable of the lot. Resale a bit better maybe than Astra.

Depends what you are after, I'm on my 2nd 2nd hand Astra and touch wood in 4 years I've never had to take either of them to the garage other then for a service. Good solid if a wee bit boring and lacks aircon, but does the job.
As for value, if you spend 8k on a 2nd hand car and keep it for 3 years, the chances are it's going to loose half the value anyway. Better off to consider relaibility, insurances costs and fuel costs

Only if the tracking is off or ther is some other problem with the car.

Purple
Is there a tracking system in Ford Focus which you can turn on or off? Can you please explain further?
Thanks

Focus = The one to go for. Best all round. Look for a 1.6 Zetec for your 8K.

Sorry, I did'nt mention, I want to go for 1.4 to save fuel as well because I am only driving in Dublin. There is one I saw in Merlin its 7K, 2002 model met silver.

Purple
Is there a tracking system in Ford Focus which you can turn on or off? Can you please explain further?
Thanks

He was talking about how the car tracks - in terms of wheels on the road...nothing to do with GPS

Specifically:

Poor build quality
Over complicated controls
Uncomfortable

CAn provide examples if deemed necessary

Probably not the best ride quality, no. Personally didn't have much trouble with controls - stalks maybe a bit fiddly - but that's all. Nissan have a generally good reputation for build quality, and that has certainly been my experience - what happened to your almera futisle?

He was talking about how the car tracks - in terms of wheels on the road...nothing to do with GPS
Spot on. No modern car will shudder at high speeds (up to 140Kmph). A focus should be good to 160/170, at least, and the speed limit is 120 so...

Not my Almera, my mothers.

Lock broke on the rear drivers side door and the door opened while driving. This on a car that had less the 30k miles on it and driven gently all the time. I found that one quite disturbing!

Also, the bolts holding the bar which prevent the door from opening too far came loose on the passenger's side.

I find the radio/heating controls being the same buttons to be annoying and over complicated. Despite the lovely degree display I can't ever seem to get it to blow cold air in.

Finally, this is my mother's 2nd Almera (Against my advise) and the trade in value she got on her last one (spotless 3 year old with 30k on it) was very poor.

Sounds unlucky futisle. Despite these problems, the almera is ranked 7th out of 100 most reliable cars of the last decade.

[broken link removed]

But I suppose every single almera can't be good...

Spot on. No modern car will shudder at high speeds (up to 140Kmph). A focus should be good to 160/170, at least, and the speed limit is 120 so...

It should be good for a lot more than that with good wheel alignment and balancing.

A Focus ST will touch 250kph on a track.

I know. I was alluding to tracking a wheel balancing not being an issue even at those massive speeds.