Focus Flexi-fuel cheaper to run?

Liamob

I'm planing on changing my car soon, and have been fascinated by Ford's new Focus Flexi-fuel. It's a 1.8 petrol that also runs on the new, environmentally friendly, bio-fuel,which will shortly be available in the garage beside my house.
Costing about 30c per litre CHEAPER than petrol, it also produces 70% less harmful emmisions and appears to be the environmentally friendly way to go. It is, however, slightly LESS fuel efficient when using the bio-fuel.

Does anyone out there own this Focus FFV and how do you find it? Is it cheaper to run than, say, the ordinary 1.4 Focus? Or any other typical 1.4 petrol, such as VW Golf or Skoda Octavia?
I know it's cheaper to buy because of the reduced VRT, but it would be great to be continuously saving money as well!
Any advice or personal experience would be appreciated....

I believe that there are only 2/3 places in the entire country that sell the bio-fuel. These are in Dublin so you may not get the on-going cost savings.
However the reduced VRT makes this a good buy as you get a higher spec car for your money. I also understand that the flexi-fuel is the cheapest focus you can buy.
Only possible downside is if any extra servicing costs apply to the Flexi-fuel engine??

Only possible downside is if any extra servicing costs apply to the Flexi-fuel engine??

I'm not trying to knock this, as I think it a good idea.

However, you might also have a downside in future in trying to sell on, especially if these types of vehicles are still relatively rare

If the cheap fuel becomes available, this might be a canny purchase.

It's a 125bhp 1.8 so will be heavier on fuel (but with much better performance) than the 1.4 (80bhp).

Service costs are identical an ordinary 1.8 focus and it will run fine on 95 u/l.

Thank you both for your replies. Not sure what I'll do yet. Someone pointed out that because this type of car is so new, I'd be as well to wait a couple of years for Ford to sort out any 'teething problems' that might occur. I am very much into the environment and reduced carbon dioxide emmisions, so it'd be great if it all worked out!

The VRT reduction makes this an attractive car even ignoring the fuel debate completely.

It's about €3000 cheaper than "normal".

Back