focus Diesel V petrol

bigjoe_dub

hi, looking to maybe getting a 04 or 05 ford focus. seems to be a good few turbo diesel out there.

have never had a diesel car before. any real disadvantage for going for a diesel over petrol?

hi, looking to maybe getting a 04 or 05 ford focus. seems to be a good few turbo diesel out there.

have never had a diesel car before. any real disadvantage for going for a diesel over petrol?
1.4 petrol hold their value well and if in good condition are a welcome trade-in in most garages.Diesel car will probably be more expensive to buy and unless your milage is excessive it would be difficult to see the advantage.

The 1.4 is very sluggish though, particularly the new models. If driving is your thing the diesel focus is very well regarded. It will however be more expensive to buy and tax compared to the petrol. Its down to a personal choice though if the budget could stetch that far I'd go for the diesel-more driving pleasure and lower running costs if you do a fair bit of mileage.

thank you both.
i wish someone would just go and buy me a car if i gave them the money and then deliver it and take away my old one. hate buying cars.

I've owned 7 Foci from new. 5 petrol and 2 diesel.

1.4 petrol is underpowered. 1.6 is much better. Zetec spec. is preferable, and also drives better due to uprated suspension, wheels and tyres, and better seats. I had a 2.5 ST last year, which was a magnificent drivers car, but was a tad expensive to buy and run :D

Diesel wise, the 1.6 TDCI engine with 110bhp is the one to go for. Be wary as some have a 90 bhp unit fitted. Check carefully. The power output is on the VLC. These engines are excellent, and are responsive, quiet, and very light on fuel. The 1.8 TDCI's are good too, but not as tax and insurance friendly. The old TDDI units are to be avoided. Crude units.

The choice depends on your driving. If you do under say 30,000 kms p.a. I reckon go for a 1.6 petrol.

I have a new one (a 3 door 1.6 Zetec Connection) and it's averaging almost 38mpg, which in the real world is excellent.

When did the 1.6 TDCI engine come into being?
Can they be got in a 04 saloon model?

Back